WAMP advantage to separate PHP, Apache, MySQL

kurt.santo

I come across this topic again and again (actually, I had a post concerning this some time ago): many people recommend to install the WAMP server as opposed to installing MySQL, Apache and PHP as separate instances. At the time of my previous post I had been advised to do the same as it was easier, but I opted to install it all separately and am quite happy with it. Still, what is the advantage of installing WAMP (excludind the easy installation)?Kurt

I haven't tried WAMP myself, but by logic I think that you don't need to install a whole server on your computer just to test out some PHP scripts, that's why I see WAMP useful.If you plan to connect your computer to the internet and host your files from it you do need Apache or some other server program.

The only advantage is that's it's easier to get it all running smoothly.Otherwise, you may always encounter a problem because of a version of one thing being incompatible with the version of another thing, or (as with PHP 5.2 and Apache 2.0/2.2) be compatible, but require a slightly different installation.That's why newbies are always advised to use WAMP, XAMPP or another sort of pre made package - it's just less trouble. Only once you get the grips with the languages and need something more advanced (like a certain PHP PECL/ZEND/PEAR extension), you should consider installing all of the things separately.By that time, you should already understand how a web server works, how Apache is related to PHP, and how PHP is related to MySQL (i.e. that they're not related at all, and just use "connectors" between them), so not only will you be able to follow installation instruction closely, but you'll also understand WHY are they needed.I personally install WAMP in such a way, that it's almost portable. The only thing I can't migrate is Apache. But I can migrate it's configuration though, so if I reinstall Windows, I just install Apache and MySQL from their executables, include my custom configuration file in httpd.conf, and I'm all set.

I haven't tried WAMP myself, but by logic I think that you don't need to install a whole server on your computer just to test out some PHP scripts, that's why I see WAMP useful.
WAMP *does* install a server (that's the "A"). You need a web server if you want to use PHP as a web server language. If you just want to write command-line programs you don't need to install a server, you can just install PHP.

The advantage of installing them separately is that you get the experience of having done that and knowing how each of them is set up. It's always a good thing to understand the platform you're developing on.
It looks that I went the hard way with lots of luck. I have to say although I am a newbie and I istalled everything separately it works smoothly... Had some problems when I installed the whole lot on a different machine with Windows Vista, but found good advice and it works also:-)Kurt

Well, then what exactly is the advantage of installing Apache, PHP and MySQL separately?
You can also customise the installation, such as installing PHP modules not noramlly included, for example mysqli.

You can also customise the installation, such as installing PHP modules not noramlly included, for example mysqli.
Looks like if you want to have it nice and easy you would use WAMP... And if you want to stay a bit more independent and maybe have more features you would install the three separate... Cheers!Kurt

Archived