PHP config file

kurt.santo

Seem to have messed up my php config file. PHP files do not display any more. Tried:

<?phpphpinfo();?>

But page is empty. What would be the best to do? How can I find the line in the config file that is causing the issue (if that is the problem anyhow)?Kurt

maybe u can look in the server error logs? think php loading errors are posted there tooi had this too when first started up my server, just replaced the php.ini file with the php.ini-recommended file in the php folder

maybe u can look in the server error logs? think php loading errors are posted there tooi had this too when first started up my server, just replaced the php.ini file with the php.ini-recommended file in the php folder
It is running on my local machine and unfortunately I did not create backup. I do not even remember what I have changed, but know it was just a tiny thing that was needed for phpMyAdmin. I also replaced php.ini with php.ini-recommended without any change. This would lead me to think that the php.ini file has nothing to do with my problem. But just to double-check. When I replaced the ini file I restarted the server. That is enough, isn't it? Or would I need to restart the PC?Then, in the log file I just find:
[Mon Mar 10 07:15:38 2008] [notice] Parent: Received restart signal -- Restarting the server.[Mon Mar 10 07:15:38 2008] [notice] Child 4132: Exit event signaled. Child process is ending.[Mon Mar 10 07:15:39 2008] [notice] Apache/2.2.4 (Win32) PHP/5.2.4 configured -- resuming normal operations[Mon Mar 10 07:15:39 2008] [notice] Server built: Jan  9 2007 23:17:20[Mon Mar 10 07:15:39 2008] [notice] Parent: Created child process 1424[Mon Mar 10 07:15:39 2008] [notice] Child 1424: Child process is running[Mon Mar 10 07:15:39 2008] [notice] Child 4132: Released the start mutex[Mon Mar 10 07:15:39 2008] [notice] Child 1424: Acquired the start mutex.[Mon Mar 10 07:15:39 2008] [notice] Child 1424: Starting 250 worker threads.[Mon Mar 10 07:15:40 2008] [notice] Child 4132: Waiting for 250 worker threads to exit.[Mon Mar 10 07:15:40 2008] [notice] Child 4132: All worker threads have exited.[Mon Mar 10 07:15:40 2008] [notice] Child 4132: Child process is exiting[Mon Mar 10 07:15:40 2008] [notice] Child 1424: Starting thread to listen on port 80.

So, no mention what the problem is (opened the same php-info file once the server had restarted.Any ideas what the reason could be?Kurt

You don't need to restart the computer, just the server. There might be a startup error. Go into the config file and just search for the word error, make sure that the config options that deal with displaying startup errors are all enabled.

You don't need to restart the computer, just the server. There might be a startup error. Go into the config file and just search for the word error, make sure that the config options that deal with displaying startup errors are all enabled.
Do you mean in the php.ini? Had a look, but wasn't sure which line or error handling deals with startup. The section is:
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; Error handling and logging ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; error_reporting is a bit-field.  Or each number up to get desired error; reporting level; E_ALL             - All errors and warnings (doesn't include E_STRICT); E_ERROR           - fatal run-time errors; E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR  - almost fatal run-time errors; E_WARNING         - run-time warnings (non-fatal errors); E_PARSE           - compile-time parse errors; E_NOTICE          - run-time notices (these are warnings which often result;                     from a bug in your code, but it's possible that it was;                     intentional (e.g., using an uninitialized variable and;                     relying on the fact it's automatically initialized to an;                     empty string); E_STRICT          - run-time notices, enable to have PHP suggest changes;                     to your code which will ensure the best interoperability;                     and forward compatibility of your code; E_CORE_ERROR      - fatal errors that occur during PHP's initial startup; E_CORE_WARNING    - warnings (non-fatal errors) that occur during PHP's;                     initial startup; E_COMPILE_ERROR   - fatal compile-time errors; E_COMPILE_WARNING - compile-time warnings (non-fatal errors); E_USER_ERROR      - user-generated error message; E_USER_WARNING    - user-generated warning message; E_USER_NOTICE     - user-generated notice message;; Examples:;;   - Show all errors, except for notices and coding standards warnings;;error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE;;   - Show all errors, except for notices;;error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE | E_STRICT;;   - Show only errors;;error_reporting = E_COMPILE_ERROR|E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR|E_ERROR|E_CORE_ERROR;;   - Show all errors except for notices and coding standards warnings;error_reporting  =  E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE; Print out errors (as a part of the output).  For production web sites,; you're strongly encouraged to turn this feature off, and use error logging; instead (see below).  Keeping display_errors enabled on a production web site; may reveal security information to end users, such as file paths on your Web; server, your database schema or other information.;; possible values for display_errors:;; Off        - Do not display any errors; stderr     - Display errors to STDERR (affects only CGI/CLI binaries!);;display_errors = "stderr";; stdout (On) - Display errors to STDOUT;display_errors = On; Even when display_errors is on, errors that occur during PHP's startup; sequence are not displayed.  It's strongly recommended to keep; display_startup_errors off, except for when debugging.display_startup_errors = Off; Log errors into a log file (server-specific log, stderr, or error_log (below)); As stated above, you're strongly advised to use error logging in place of; error displaying on production web sites.log_errors = On; Set maximum length of log_errors. In error_log information about the source is; added. The default is 1024 and 0 allows to not apply any maximum length at all.log_errors_max_len = 1024; Do not log repeated messages. Repeated errors must occur in same file on same; line until ignore_repeated_source is set true.ignore_repeated_errors = Off; Ignore source of message when ignoring repeated messages. When this setting; is On you will not log errors with repeated messages from different files or; source lines.ignore_repeated_source = Off; If this parameter is set to Off, then memory leaks will not be shown (on; stdout or in the log). This has only effect in a debug compile, and if; error reporting includes E_WARNING in the allowed listreport_memleaks = On;report_zend_debug = 0; Store the last error/warning message in $php_errormsg (boolean).track_errors = Off; Disable the inclusion of HTML tags in error messages.; Note: Never use this feature for production boxes.;html_errors = Off; If html_errors is set On PHP produces clickable error messages that direct; to a page describing the error or function causing the error in detail.; You can download a copy of the PHP manual from [url="http://www.php.net/docs.php"]http://www.php.net/docs.php[/url]; and change docref_root to the base URL of your local copy including the; leading '/'. You must also specify the file extension being used including; the dot.; Note: Never use this feature for production boxes.;docref_root = "/phpmanual/";docref_ext = .html; String to output before an error message.;error_prepend_string = "<font color=ff0000>"; String to output after an error message.;error_append_string = "</font>"; Log errors to specified file.;error_log = filename; Log errors to syslog (Event Log on NT, not valid in Windows 95).;error_log = syslog

Which line would I need to enable?Kurt

Archived