Writing to a file

supertrucker

I'm having trouble opening a file for output. I can open the file to read it, eg:function test1($filename){ $file=fopen($filename,"r"); ..read file, etc. fclose($file);}but when I open the same file in write mode, it continually returns FALSE, why? Eg:function test2($filename){ $file=fopen($filename,"w"); if ($file==FALSE) { echo "Why oh why!!??"; } .... fclose($file);}

well, I tried it (chmod) but it's still not working. Here's my actual source:function saveUserData($userinfo){ include("global_setup.php"); $filename=$usersbase.$userinfo['userid'].'.usr'; chmod($usersbase,0666); chmod($filename,0666); $_SESSION['msg']=$filename; // Vars in $userinfo (from edit users): // userid, pass1, pass2, currentPassword // email, joindate,accesslevel $password=$userinfo['currentPassword']; $len1=strlen($userinfo['pass1']); $len2=strlen($userinfo['pass2']); // Below is a simple "dumb" check. If the // length of pass1 and pass2 are greater than // zero, then pass1 is the new password. // Otherwise, default to old. if (($len1 > 0) && ($len2 > 0)) { $password=$userinfo['pass1']; } $file = fopen($filename,"w"); if ($file==FALSE) {$_SESSION['msg']=$_SESSION['msg'].' Open failure. '.$t;} fputs($file, '/= Dummy line.'); fputs($file, 'password='.$password); fputs($file, 'email='.$userinfo['email']); fputs($file, 'joindate='.$userinfo['joindate']); fputs($file, 'accesslevel='.$userinfo['accesslevel']); fclose($file);}

It also never hurts to print the filename and see what you're asking it to open.
Thanks for your help! How do I enable error messaging on the fly, as I don't have access to my php.ini file, I just assume it's in there..I will try your suggestions, too, as error messages would definately help me in debugging!

ini_set("display_errors", 1);error_reporting(E_ALL);
Ok, now that I can see my bugs, here is what the output of the chmod function resulted in:Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /home/account/public_html/zerorubbish/files.php on line 123Any advice on that error message, as I'm really confused now?!!Thanks!ST

Well, obviously, your host doesn't allow you to alter permissions. Forget about chmod(), or try a different persmission mask.

Well, obviously, your host doesn't allow you to alter permissions. Forget about chmod(), or try a different persmission mask.
Well, any suggestions, as I'm just not that experienced in the language...

What happened when you tried the suggestions in posts #5 and #6?
Same thing as before. Keeps telling me that there is a rights issue.

Maybe you need to check out FAQs on your host's website, maybe even email their support people for help. It sounds like you have a major rights issue that may have to be set at the admin level.

Archived