Microsoft grr

george

When my page opens, thd IE Information bar appears and informs the user that the page they are viewing may be trying to download a file. The actual problem seems to be

<script type="text/javascript" src="action/form.js" ></script>

I know I can turn off the information bar - but I want my web page working on IE, with all it's default security settings. Can I not have an external JS file?

That shouldn't happen unless your script is actually opening a link to a downloadable file.
No, it is not. Though it may see
<script src="action/form.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

as linking to a downloadable file. If that line of code is commented out, then I do not get the IE block message. Here is the entire HTML

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><meta name="description" content="Form Example" /><title>Form Example</title><link href="style\form.css" media="screen"  /><script src="action/form.js" type="text/javascript"></script></head><body>The IE alert message is due to the javascript <br /><form action="#" method="post" onsubmit="return false;" id="myform"><input name="firstname" value="First Name" size="15em" /><input name="lastname" value="Last Name" size="15em" /><input name="address1" value="Address One" size="25em" /><input name="address2" value="Address Two" size="25em" /><input name="city" value="City" size="20em" /><input name="state" size="2em" /><input name="zip" size="5em" /><input name="plus4" size="4" /><input name="phonePart1" size="3em" /><input name="phonePart2" size="3em" /><input name="phonePart3" size="4em" /><input type="radio" name="######" value="female" /><input type="radio" name="######" value="male" /><input type="checkbox" name="CB1" value="checkbox one" /><input type="checkbox" name="CB2" value="checkbox two" /><input type="button" name="submit" value="Submit" onclick="submitForm()" /></form><div id="displayParameterString"></div></body></html>

And the java script:

function submitForm() {	var x = document.getElementById('myform');	var param = '';	for (var i=0; i<x.length; i++) {		param = param + "&" + x.elements[i].id  + "=" + x.elements[i].value;	}	document.getElementById('displayParameterString').display = 'block';	document.getElementById('displayParameterString').innerHTML = param;}

Have you tried lowering your IE security temporarily to see if that helps? Although in all honesty if it's set to default I am not sure why it'll warn you in such a way.Oh by the way I just spotted this:<link href="style\form.css" media="screen" />Change the slash so it's like this<link href="style/form.css" media="screen" />

If you're running this page from your local computer by double clicking on it, then IE is going to have security issues. You should test it out on a regular web server.
Thank you JSG, you always help me out.

Archived