Virtual Server

global.user

Hi thereI thought about a software that would be very good for me and I thought, oh, it should exist, so let's go look for it... have'nt found it, maybe not looking at the right place... anyway, there is my thought.This software would be a kind of virtual machine, with quite special controls / features:- It would act as a server on Internet: http:// like path...- There would be a speed limitation control e.g. dialup, t1, t3... (what i mean is: i/o speed [not internet], to sim those situations)- It would have php, mysql... built-in (like a server).- It would be installable like an application.- Free. (and possibly O-S)==> I know it's not in the right category, but I didn't find any good for that kind of topic... Why did I put it in PHP ? Well, because that was what I was primarly thinking about for that virtual 'server'...If any of you does know of something similar to described above, could you please give the NAME, or keywords to search with?Thx...

Do you mean something like WAMPserver or XAMPP? These can be installed onto the popular desktop operating systems, and communicate through the HTTP over port 80 (if your ISP allows it), they come with the Apache server, PHP, MySQL and other things, and are open source. Speed depends on your own internet connection though - if you have 5 Mb/s (upstream) ADSL, then your theoretical maximum speed is 5 Mb/s. Most bandwidth control applications, however, are designed for limiting speed in local networks, not actual extranet connections.

Yes, it does works, but the main thing I want to use it for is to test page loading at different speeds (hence the 'speed control' described above)... The software you propose are great, BUT they do not have this function... So I'll keep searching.SY and THX

I doubt you're going to find a server that includes speed throttling like that. Use a normal server, and look for a client that has those features (a testing browser or something; I bet Firefox has a plugin to do that). Look at the different browsers' web developer features.

Archived