Web Page Color Palette

K_Drive

Hello.I wasn't sure if w3schools was the place to post this. I was going to post it on a graphic design website forum. But I always seem to get good answers to my other questions, so why not this one?I have seen the color palette generator apps and websites. And, they do a good job creating palettes. I especially like the ones that make a palette based on a photographic that you upload. But, I was wondering how a palette of related colors is generated by the apps and web pages. I have a color wheel with the triad, rectangle and other ways to get related colors. Is that how a palette is generated? Is, for example, a triad of colors used along with its different shades based on saturation and lightness/darkness?I went to a local library and flipped through some books on color theory, but none of them stated how to actually create a palette of colors. There has to be a basic process. I am sure that there are people who have a sense of color, but there has to be a general way of creating a useful collection of colors for a palette.Can anyone help with this?K_Drive

Well, I use Adobe Photoshop often so I work with colors a lot. I play with the red, green and blue values (#RRGGBB) to obtain the colors I need.In order to increase brightness, you increas the number values of the color you want.For example:Dark red: #880000Medium red: #CC0000Bright red: #FF0000To change the saturation, you increase the value of the other colors equally:Highest saturation: #CC0000Less saturation: #CC8888No saturation: #CCCCCCTo change the hue, you'll have to go adding the amount of the color you're shifting to:Red: #FF0000Red shifting to orange: #FF6600Shifting further into orange: #FF9900Shifting towards yellow: #FFCC00Yellow: #FFFF00Yellow shifting to green: #CCFF00Green: #00FF00

Hello.I wasn't sure if w3schools was the place to post this. I was going to post it on a graphic design website forum. But I always seem to get good answers to my other questions, so why not this one?I have seen the color palette generator apps and websites. And, they do a good job creating palettes. I especially like the ones that make a palette based on a photographic that you upload. But, I was wondering how a palette of related colors is generated by the apps and web pages. I have a color wheel with the triad, rectangle and other ways to get related colors. Is that how a palette is generated? Is, for example, a triad of colors used along with its different shades based on saturation and lightness/darkness?I went to a local library and flipped through some books on color theory, but none of them stated how to actually create a palette of colors. There has to be a basic process. I am sure that there are people who have a sense of color, but there has to be a general way of creating a useful collection of colors for a palette.Can anyone help with this?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~OK - I did a little bit of searching to find an answer to this. And, my initial thoughts were correct. You can take the various color relationships (triads, etc.) and use them for a basis for color palettes. Here is a good webpage with some examples:Color Usage in Web DesignYou have to scroll down about halfway to find where the color wheels are used.Hope this was helpful to someone out there.And, I do appreciate your answer, Ingolme.K_Drive

Archived