ajax login script

JC5

I have a ajax login script on my site and i am trying to get it so wehn i enter the credentials it will remove the login form and display welcome (and then the persons first name). the link is www.devwebsites.com and (so i dont flood this post with code) the links are in the head section of my home page. Thanks

The tab thing isn't working for me... (And I hope you have a submit button that you remove from the page with JS; otherwise it's inaccessible without JS.)

1. I'm not sure what your question is.2. The tab thing doesn't work for me either. And a billion web users are gonna get confused that you're making them use tab to login when they're used to hitting the return key. Stick with the UI people know.3. Are you asking about the showLogin() function?a. Do you know if it gets called? Have you stuck an alert in there to see?b. The showLogin() code demonstrates perfectly why the W3 chose to include the innerHTML property in the HTML 5 specification. I mean, yuck. Nothing personal. It's a valiant effort at using pure DOM methods, but this is exactly the place where the brick hits the fan. I know because I've been there.

I'm asking (well if you could add a login button to the system that would be great cuz idk how) how to change it so when a persons logged in it removes the login forms and displays welcome (persons first name)

I asked about the showLogin() function because it looks like you're already trying to do something like that there. So are you asking us to explain it from scratch or to help you debug something that's not working?

Why are you biting the hand that feeds you? We need to know which kind of "how to do it" to apply. For this post, I'll assume you mean from the ground up.Build the basic login form, with submit button, text fields, and no JS; a PHP page that echo's the data in some format; another PHP page which encloses the first in HTML. Set the second PHP page as your form's action. When the page loads, set the form's onsubmit to a function which uses AJAX to retrieve the first page and returns false. (If you don't want the submit button when it's unnecessary, remove it here.) Put the AJAX data in the page somewhere.

You're building the form with JavaScript; the form itself shouldn't depend on JavaScript. If JavaScript is running, then it can change the form up to be fancy, but until then the form should involve no JS.But you did the AJAX well.EDIT: BTW, Lynx is a good tool for testing your site's accessibility.

I am going to add a <noscript> tag to the top of the page saying that in order to view the page correctly try enabling javascript. Anyway how did you like the script? Did you like the login stuff? try clicking the register link at the top too

You seem to be missing the point: Not everyone can enable JavaScript. For some people, it doesn't even make sense. How would it work for the technologies listed here? And if it did work, would it be confusing?Of course, you can just ignore those problems - but I hope you won't. Good JavaScript programming is intentionally non-essential. (Not that I have that anywhere near mastered, but it's a goal of mine.)But you're right; your scripts work great - when they can.

what do you mean not everyone CAN enable javascript. i might include a link to a section telling people how to enable javascript if thats what your saying. its what myspace does. if you disable js on teh screen then it displays you need javascript enabled to view the page correctly. Click here to see how to enable javascript for your browseror something like that :)oh well time to do the register scripts..sigh

There are some browsers that can't use JavaScript.And, as JD© pointed out, it isn't in the interests of accessibility to create a site that doesn't work without JavaScript.

Some folks still use very old browsers - I guess because they're extremely computer-illiterate. Others use technologies like those at the Wikipedia link. Still others disable JS as a security measure. Granted, these would probably never find your site (except the last group), given that its audience is developers. But if you're serious about web development you need to know and practice this stuff. (And I wouldn't recommend MySpace as a model site.)Here's some related reading if you're interested: http://www.google.com/search?q=javascript+...R+accessibility

FWIW, there are a lot of things that do require Javascript now. I'm building a new version of a product my company produces that is nearly all-Javascript. It's a system to launch and track web-based training, classroom training, online tests, etc. Some people might think it's not a good idea to use Javascript for this because it would eliminate people who don't support Javascript, but the training tracking standard itself (SCORM) requires Javascript. There are just a lot of things today that require Javascript, and for a lot of applications it's just easier to say that Javascript is required.

I just went to the public libraries website where i live near and their shopping cart like application for requesting books is all in javascript to speed the users abilities to get books. O.o

There are just a lot of things today that require Javascript, and for a lot of applications it's just easier to say that Javascript is required.
High Five!

I suppose it is accessibility v usability. But most forums don't need JS enabled to work...

I guess your right. Well I guess im more inclined to use JS to prove to myself i have learned stuff. I am currently only learningjavascript (javascript + ajax + jquery) so its pretty extensive, jquery is not an easy language to learn :)

jQuery isn't a language :). It is a framework.Well, it would be even better to prove that you can both use JavaScript and allow your applications to degrade gracefully without it :)

Archived