Long domain names

Html

Hi there.What does anyone here think about domain names with more than five words or five words. And at the same time, they aren't spellt funny or have dashes or numbers or any strange combination of those.

It doesn't really matter how many words there are as long as its easy to spell and there aren't too many characters. More than 20 characters is a bit much. One of my clients (photographer) decided to use intriguingimagesby<his name>.com, which is both long and hard to spell.

It doesn't really matter how many words there are as long as its easy to spell and there aren't too many characters. More than 20 characters is a bit much. One of my clients (photographer) decided to use intriguingimagesby<his name>.com, which is both long and hard to spell.
Good point. :) A name with a description of a page or site would work, but as you said not to awkward of a spelling.

I do: ncwebdesigner.info which is my portfolio site.
That only has four words (n c web designer) :)

Domains should be relevent to a page or site. And descriptive too if possibly.
The general rules of usable domain names are:
  1. As short as possible, though it doesn't have to be ridiculously short
  2. Get .com, unless you absolutely *have* to have a certain domain and the .com version is gone
  3. The number of words don't matter, though it should be under 20 chars if possible
  4. It must be easy to spell and remember
  5. If *you* think it's a pain to type, then it is
  6. Avoid numbers, as they're too ambiguous. (Was that "3" or "three"?)
  7. Give it the "radio test." Say the domain out loud. Is it easy to say? It doesn't sound like you're saying something else? (Like Ask.com starting to spell out their domain in radio ads because it sounded like they were saying "a$$" instead of "ask") Hyphens are a pain in that case too, as you have to say "this *dash* domain dot com". (Yes, I'm aware that one of my domains has a dash in it... :) )

You could even shorten that, des-web-deq.com.mx, deswebdeq.com.mx, etc.
You're right, unfortunately in Spanish that sounds like an "albur" :) But in English sounds good: dev-web-q or devwebq and sure many people would understand what it stands for :) That's why Spanish it's not good writing about technology :) Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived