Warning: Unknown: Your Script Possibly (continued)... I Don't Unsderstand The Error

clonetrooper9494

Warning: Unknown: Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect which existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be advised that the session extension does not consider global variables as a source of data, unless register_globals is enabled. You can disable this functionality and this warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to off, respectively. in Unknown on line 0A long, confusing error, and its talking about stuff I have never heard of. I read up, and I think I may have a problem. It seems my host got the latest version of PHP, and now this error pops up. It is probably because of these lines:

$conf_password  = isset($_POST['conf_password']) ? trim($_POST['conf_password']) : '';  $email = isset($_POST['email']) ? trim($_POST['email']) : '';  $gender = isset($_POST['gender']) ? trim($_POST['gender']) : '';  $birthday = isset($_POST['birthday']) ? trim($_POST['birthday']) : '';  $image = isset($_POST['image']) ? trim($_POST['image']) : '';  $info = isset($_POST['info']) ? trim($_POST['info']) : '';...	$_SESSION['email'] = $_POST['email'];	$_SESSION['info'] = $_POST['info'];	$_SESSION['image'] = $_POST['image'];	$_SESSION['gender'] = $_POST['gender'];	$_SESSION['birthday'] = $_POST['birthday'];

Now the thing is that I don't think that I can set setting session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to off. My site is hosted on a server, so how can I stop this error from showing? Should I rewrite the script so its like $_SESSION['session_email'] = $_POST['post_email'];? Or is there some variable I can disable?EDIT: the title is kind of long... oops

not sure what exactly causes the problem, but first u say:$email = isset($_POST['email']) ? trim($_POST['email']) : '';and later:$_SESSION['email'] = $_POST['email'];shouldnt that be:$_SESSION['email'] = $email;do you use session_register() anywhere in ur code?

I just realized I did that. I fix it after this problem is resolved.Why would I use session_register()? It says using session_register() should be avoided. Is there any way to stop the errors?I fixed the problem by saying this:

$conf_password1  = isset($_POST['conf_password']) ? trim($_POST['conf_password']) : '';  $email1 = isset($_POST['email']) ? trim($_POST['email']) : '';  $gender1 = isset($_POST['gender']) ? trim($_POST['gender']) : '';  $birthday1 = isset($_POST['birthday']) ? trim($_POST['birthday']) : '';  $image1 = isset($_POST['image']) ? trim($_POST['image']) : '';  $info1 = isset($_POST['info']) ? trim($_POST['info']) : '';

It seems that the sessions vars had nothing to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...
You can disable this functionality and this warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to off, respectively.
The warning happens when you use a bunch of variables with the same names, e.g. $email, $_SESSION['email'], $_POST['email'], etc. Set the config option if you want to disable the warning.

Archived