Alternative To Paying $700?

hsfrey

As the Flash tutorial suggested, I went to the Adobe site, and found that Adobe Flash costs $700! I'm working for a non-profit and may use Flash for only one project. I simply want to put boxes on the screen, connected with lines, and move and resize them interactively.Are there alternatives to the expensive Adobe product?

As the Flash tutorial suggested, I went to the Adobe site, and found that Adobe Flash costs $700! I'm working for a non-profit and may use Flash for only one project. I simply want to put boxes on the screen, connected with lines, and move and resize them interactively.Are there alternatives to the expensive Adobe product?
Use the trial version - 30 days.

Use the trial version - 30 days.
I'm not going to use a trial version if I know that after 30 days I'll have to spend $700 to continue and maintain my work.I DID do a search and "adobe alternatives" came up with nothing.I DID look at the tutorial (I said as much in my initial post) and all it mentioned was the Adobe.If you have an ANSWER to my question, I'd be much obliged!If you just want to hassle newbies, that's your choice too.

If you have an ANSWER to my question, I'd be much obliged!If you just want to hassle newbies, that's your choice too.
Flash is Proprietary Commercial Software. You must purchase it after the 30 day Trial period if you continue to use it. Period.But maybe they have a newbie price? Might want to ask them that question, because as far as I know, $700 is the price, newbie or not.

If you just want to hassle newbies, that's your choice too.
It took me a minute to realize the source of so much hostility. Notice the bottom of my post. See the dashed line, and then all the blue stuff? That's my signature. It's on all my posts. You misread Skemcin's signature as something directed at you personally. It wasn't. An honest mistake, I guess, since you're new to the forum.Now, let's all hold hands and sing Kumbaya. :)

It took me a minute to realize the source of so much hostility. Notice the bottom of my post. See the dashed line, and then all the blue stuff? That's my signature. It's on all my posts. You misread Skemcin's signature as something directed at you personally. It wasn't. An honest mistake, I guess, since you're new to the forum.Now, let's all hold hands and sing Kumbaya. :)
LOL! OK, but I'm not sure that hostile comments directed to the whole world (in a signature) are less offensive than ones directed to a specific individual. Nor should people claim offense when people respond in kind to their statements.Whatever . . ., as they say.Since Adobe has made part of the SWF specification open, and since many companies offer Open Source programs which will construct PDFs, another proprietary Adobe product, and since the Flash tutorial appeared on a W3 site, which I have always associated with open source, I assumed that perhaps there was an open source implementation of at least the basic functionality of Flash, which is all I need.The mere fact that a language is proprietary is not, of itself, conclusive proof that there is not other software that does similar tasks. I'm sorry if anyone was offended by having to see a post from an obvious newbie.

Yeah, the Flash tutorial at the Schools is an oddity, now that I think of it. I did a little searching and ran across this: http://www.openlaszlo.org . It's not WYSIWIG, but it is free. Maybe you've looked at that already, but just in case you didn't . . .And no one here minds newbies, BTW. There's a core group of regulars, and almost everyone else is pretty new, or they only drop by occasionally. It's not a thing.

• 3 weeks later...

DD: Yeah! That looks Great! And the Price is right! I've been playing with the Flex SDK, but OpenLaszlo seems even simpler, and they apparently have a free IDE as well (The Flex IDE is $250). Thanks for the tip!!!!!!! :)

Yeah, the Flash tutorial at the Schools is an oddity, now that I think of it. I did a little searching and ran across this: http://www.openlaszlo.org . It's not WYSIWIG, but it is free. Maybe you've looked at that already, but just in case you didn't . . .

Archived