Any Comments?

jlhaslip

I'd appreciate a few reviews on this site, pplease.http://jlhaslip.com/sm/mal/index.htmlStill working on it. Going to make a modular php script to run it once the Design is nailed down.Needs a few touch-ups yet. The colour scheme on the Navbar is bothering me. I'd like to keep the colour count to around 6, but this design might be over that limit.Two columns, centred main column, right hand sidebar, they can both extend as required to match the longest column. The effect that displays on the Blockquotes and Unordered lists is a visual design feature to highlight them, so that isn't broken...Three part Header with Skip links for accessibility.Site is W3C valid and CSS valid.We'll be adding some more features before I check the 508 standards, but it should come in okay for level AA, I think. Possibly AAA.And the design willl be using a CSS file on the finished site. Including a Print CSS file.Made the top and side background images in GIMP. Might do a tutorial on that some day soon.Oh! Forgot to mention, this is for a University Professor, so the design needed to be 'tame', but not boring. Minimal Images. I'll be messing with them a bit to optimize the download sizes and such.If I can drop the total image size to around 50Kb, I'll be happy. They are around 63Kb now. Should be able to do that... smile.gif

I think you obviously know what you are doing technically, but the design is from another planet. Objectively speaking (ie as a user) I just don't get it and I don't think I would care what it did as long as it worked and looked pretty, I am sure you tick one of those boxes, but it ani't pretty.

• 2 weeks later...

Being constructive is the the point of this forum, so let's go:

• First, it might just be my browser, but it seems to me that the background does not need to be fixed to the page, but as it is very repetitive, you might just want to fix it to the window. It helps relief a bit of rendering to the browser... smooth scrolling...
  • Second, I'd do the nav buttons a bit larger, and try not to change them so much on hover. Just changing the bgcolor will be enough to be remarked.
  • For some absurd reason, the links change color on hover and stay so. Try to fix that?
  • I think there is a font color and positioning problem on the header. They do not stick out enough to be seen easily.
  • Why are 'Page Content' and 'Site Navigation' in the top left so discrete? No, not discrete... near impossible to see! I only just remarked them!
  • You might be able to size the images down by removing the text from the header image. It's Times New Roman; every machine got that, right?
  • And, hum, finally, hum...
  • TOO MUCH GREEN ?

Archived