Text-decoration:none Question

thesoundsmith

I am pretty much a novice at high-end CSS, and used a template which made sense to me (mostly.) I discovered recently that a bunch of weird underlining issues in the pages was due to an embedded graphic in the div. But in the meanwhile, I have sprinkled hundreds of "text-decoration:none"s within the 80-odd pages of the site. And now that the actual issue has been dealt with :) I have a simple question: can I not simply remove all of these declarations and replace it with one

* a, * a:visited, * a:hover, * a:active {text-decoration:none}

near the top of the css? I'm a little nervous about pulling all those safety valves...

I would try adding the rule for only the *a { text-decoration:none} and see if that works. The underlines should not be placed on the other pseudo-sates unless specifically added. At least it would be worth trying.And the last rule within the braces does not require a semi-colon, but it is good practice to include it.

I am pretty much a novice at high-end CSS, and used a template which made sense to me (mostly.) I discovered recently that a bunch of weird underlining issues in the pages was due to an embedded graphic in the div. But in the meanwhile, I have sprinkled hundreds of "text-decoration:none"s within the 80-odd pages of the site. And now that the actual issue has been dealt with :) I have a simple question: can I not simply remove all of these declarations and replace it with one
* a, * a:visited, * a:hover, * a:active {text-decoration:none}

near the top of the css? I'm a little nervous about pulling all those safety valves...

humm, interesting. usually if i leave out a semicolon it screws everything up...
Only if there is a following statement. But if you forget and add the next statement without the semicolon, then it does screw it up. So I probably would have to agree with jhaslip about keeping them, though I'm in the process of trying to cut the code size and redundancy down. I've cut the CSS in half with no reduction in actual content. If I were to start over today with the same template, I think I could make a leaner, tighter site, but right now I'm just adjusting a page at a time, or a CSS line at a time.Thanks, guys.

Archived