Mysql Or Sql

[dx]

Hi brainiacs,I've heard that there's some difference between mysql and sql base. So can someone explain it a lil bit more?And, please, for what is better use mysql and for what sql, or is it same? Regards

They are mostly the same. SQL is a 'specification' for Relational Databases. Not all Databases meet all the SQL standards, but many are close.MYSQL is a Database software package that is 'mostly' standard to the SQL specifications. Many of the things you do in MYSQL can be duplicated using other Database softwares, but there are usually subtle differences in syntax and software capabilities.

Err, I would have said that SQL and MySQL were completely different. SQL is a standardised language used for processing data, while MySQL is a relational database management system that can be operated using SQL. It's like comparing PHP and Apache.

Well, think about it like this. You use the keyboard to manipulate your computer, in a similar way that you use SQL to manipulate MySQL databases. SQL is the tool, MySQL is the object.

Well, to get extremely metaphorical, they are like a lock and key - the MySQL "lock" holds the information within, and you use the SQL "key" to access that information :)

I think you meant to ask the difference between MySQL and MsSQL, but I'm not sure. There are many different kinds of SQL database structures, those two are only scratching the surface. If that's the case, there are slight differences in syntax between them all. For the most part, they all do the same things, and logic differs as well. From my experience, it's easier to find tutorials and help for MySQL than any other you might want to use. (MsSQL, SQLite, Postgre SQL, etc) Many popular hosts are starting to accept all of these, so compatibility isn't that much of an issue.Sorry if this was off topic :)

Archived