Opinions Please

Malpractice

Hi, I have almost finished what I started (only a bit of content to add)www.weekendbridge.comI would just like some opinions on how to improve the site, (please bear in mind the following that I have tried to achieve)Easy to follow (idiot proof)Pleasant to the eye, without all the flashy stuff that is distracting to peopledecent colour scheme (comments welcome if you think it is too bridght or dull)also I would like some coments about the way I have built it (I have hand coded the layout, I actually use dreamweaver 8, for links and css styling (not that there is much there) and file mamangement and FTP usage)and I would like some comments about compliancy to standards (there is one issue I know I have with, the flash buttons for some reason is has a problem with embedded on the buttons) I am not sure what I am doing wrong there or how to correct it, so opinions are welcomed, please feel free to be as critical as you like, you won't hurt my feelings :)

the look is plain and easy to see the navigation without being distracted with flashy ads.you could better your seo with two thingsmeta tags for "description and Keywords"you did good not repeating the same title tag, good to let the search engines no what the pages are about by helping each page.but you have a good start.I used ie and the format look good with no distortions.

It's a nice clean look, as mstransky says.The blue is a bit intense, especially on white.I would reconsider the shockwave buttons. If they were ordinary images, my browser would cache them. This means that when I move to a new page with the same general layout, the buttons would already be in memory, and the illusion would be created that only the text changes. It's behavior we've grown accustomed to.But with the swf buttons, when I move to a new page, I watch the buttons pop into existence, pop pop pop, one at a time down the side of the page. So ironically, the hi-tech buttons create a very 1995 impression. I'm certain the same look could be created with a "base" image and an animated gif for the rollover. Since these would stay in memory, there would be no "popping" effect.(FWIW, I'm seeing this on an older computer at home over a 512kb DSL. I'm sure my work computer would display the images a lot faster.)

• 1 month later...

I like the links. You should put some type of ripple in the header (not animated) and that should make the site look %100 better.

Archived