Favicon In Ie7

c_and_b

Hello,I have included a favicon.ico in the root directory of my site. It was created with a plug-in for Dreamweaver. I have included the following code:<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" /><link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />I have both links in as I read somewhere that this will "cover all the bases". The favicon displays properly in Safari but not at all in IE7. I have deleted the cache, I've tried saving it as a favorite, I've even changed the internet options to check for a new version anytime I load a page. All to no avail.Anyone know the secret to displaying the little icon in IE7??? Thanks in advance!

Thanks! It is 16x16. And it now is working. After posting this I decided to check Microsoft's website. They had a suggestion to force the icon change by using the Properties, Change Icon after saving it as a Favorite. It now works every time...at least in my test environment...we'll see when we go live.

• 3 months later...
Hello,I have included a favicon.ico in the root directory of my site. It was created with a plug-in for Dreamweaver. I have included the following code:<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" /><link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />I have both links in as I read somewhere that this will "cover all the bases". The favicon displays properly in Safari but not at all in IE7. I have deleted the cache, I've tried saving it as a favorite, I've even changed the internet options to check for a new version anytime I load a page. All to no avail.Anyone know the secret to displaying the little icon in IE7??? Thanks in advance!
as far as that code goes in covering all bases, should it be included on all pages, or just the index? Do standards compliant browsers automatically look for a favicon? And does IE need to have that code in the page(s)? I can't believe such a silly little brings up so many questions! lol.nm: it seems to be working in IE8 now, in both IE7 and IE8 mode

weird, it was just working on this computer in IE7, and now not anymore, and I haven;t done a thing to it. wierd, lol.

weird, it was just working on this computer in IE7, and now not anymore, and I haven;t done a thing to it. wierd, lol.
and now working again! lol, i haven't touched a thing and it just keeps flip-flopping on this computer.

Guest FirefoxRocks
and now working again! lol, i haven't touched a thing and it just keeps flip-flopping on this computer.
It could be a caching issue. By the way, this is the only code you should probably need to "cover all bases":
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

It could be a caching issue. By the way, this is the only code you should probably need to "cover all bases":

and so this should be on all pages within the domain, then?

The problem with that is that you would be giving false information with thathttp://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-linksThe specification says

In the DTD, %LinkTypes refers to a space-separated list of link types
This means that by typing "shortcut icon" you're telling standard compliant browsers that the relation of the link relative to the document is both "shortcut" and "icon""shortcut icon" was invented by Microsoft. Standard compliant browsers adapted that to simply "icon".This is why pages have been using both of them at the same time.

Archived