Smaller Font Size

hamlet_giragosian

i just made a 23 X 23 table, but the table is too wide, and the font is just to big for the text in the cells of the table. i have tried reducing the width and the font size so as to make the table fit into the browser window, but it seems like there is actually a minimum font size and table width because it won't let me go any smaller. how can i reduce the width of my table further and also reduce the font size?thank you very much

well, like for instance:<table border="1" width="100" align="center" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" style="font-family:arialnarrow" style="font-size:8px"><tr><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td></tr><tr><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td></tr><tr><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td><td>00</td></tr></table></body></html>as you can see, i have set the width attribute to "100" in an attempt to shrink the width, but this does not work (obviously) b/c the table has to make the bare minimum width available to accommodate the LARGEST cell text width... so, i am thinking the best way to go about this is to VERTICALLY ORIENT the table headings... how can i do THIS??? thank you so much for the reply!!

try this to see the effect:

<style> table { font-size:smaller; }  </style>

Apply only the table style first, then add the td style to size the font down once more.

<style> table { font-size:smaller; } td { font-size:smaller;  } </style>

There will be a font-size minimum that different Browsers will affect, which you have no control over. It is an accessibility issue.

yeah, you know what... i figured out a way to reduce the font size (i had to do this for each individual row). i couldn't do it in the <table> tag, but i could reduce the font size within the <tr> tag like this: <tr style="font-size:10px>TABLE DATA GOES HERE</tr>... i should try it your way also though... ill see if it can work. but i have another question: is there any way to make vertical table headings? thanks a lot

Archived