Link

yrstruly

Does anybody know, what is the benefits of using the <link> element to establish a relationship between documents and essential resources?
None, really. The @import rule in CSS gives you another technique, but the result is always the same: the browser makes an HTTP request to get the resource, or it finds the resource already cached in RAM. So the differences are mostly syntactical, rather than practical.If anything, the @import rule gives you a little more flexibility as far as the way you organize resources, and I'm noticing a lot of new pages that use that rule within <style> tags rather than using the <link> tag.But if it's speed you're wondering about, I don't think there is a benefit either way.

Using the <link> element for linking different kinds of pages together tells computers how the page is related.If you put

<link rel="glossary" type="text/html" href="glossary.html">

Intelligent applications will be able to know that the document is a glossary of the current file. Currently, I don't know many uses for it, but as we move into the age of semantic web, it becomes more necessary for computers to understand what the pages are about and how they are related.I believe this post also answers your other topic.

Archived