Adding Field Results

unplugged_web

I want to be able to add all of the entries in one field and then subtract the total from the total of another field. I know how to subtract the results but I don't know how to get the results if that makes sense.So that's my question, how do I add all of the entries from a whole field together?Thanks

How do you have more than one entry in a field? Can you show any code? Are we talking form submission here?
Sorry I my mistake I meant row not field. I've got a row with the cost of an item in it and another row with the postage. I want the total cost of every item and the total cost of ever item's postage.

OK, it sounds like loops plus addition, which shouldn't be very difficult. Do you have any code yet?
So far I've got:
<? php$sql="select * from item_details";$sql="select * from postage_details";?>

and then within the html of the page I've got:

<?=$row[item_price'] - $row['pp_price'] ?>

but that only gives me the total of the two rows, I don't know how to add all of the entries together first.Thanks

You just need to set up a loop that loops through all of the rows, the same way you loop through any MySQL result, and keep a variable to hold the total that you add to each time through the loop.

$result = mysql_query(...);$total = 0;while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){  $total += $row['field'];}

okay, thanks that will add the result before I subtract them?Also I've noticed that for the postage table some of the entries have multiple postage amounts - can I only add the highest postage amount for each product id?thank you for helping

It can be done in SQL, rather than only PHP:

$q = mysql_query("SELECT SUM(column1)-SUM(column2) AS total FROM table");$results = mysql_fetch_array($q);echo "The difference between the two columns is: " . $results['total'];

okay, thanks that will add the result before I subtract them?
That will add all values in a single column throughout the entire row set.
can I only add the highest postage amount for each product id?
You can do whatever you want, use if statements to figure out which one is the highest.

It can be done in SQL, rather than only PHP:
$q = mysql_query("SELECT SUM(column1)-SUM(column2) AS total FROM table");$results = mysql_fetch_array($q);echo "The difference between the two columns is: " . $results['total'];

okay now I'm confused. This is what I've now got
$result = mysql_query("select * from items");$total = 0;while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){  $total += $row['item_price'];}$result = mysql_query("select * from postage");$total = 0;while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){  $total += $row['pp_price'];}

But that won't work out if the same product id has more that one postage entry and only add the highest postage amount for each product id?

What that code does is select all rows from the items table, and then calculates the total of the item_price column, then sets the total back to 0, then gets every row from the postage table, then calculates the total of all of the pp_price fields. So you end up with the total of all pp_price fields in the postage table. Is that what you're trying to do?

What that code does is select all rows from the items table, and then calculates the total of the item_price column, then sets the total back to 0, then gets every row from the postage table, then calculates the total of all of the pp_price fields. So you end up with the total of all pp_price fields in the postage table. Is that what you're trying to do?
Yep that's exactly what I'm looking for, but how do I use the if statement to get only the highest pp_price for each product_id? Also after doing that l can then use this to display the results:
<?=$row[item_price'] - $row['pp_price'] ?>

And how would I get the results to dynamically load into a page link thisThanks

I don't know how your database is structured, but you can probably use a SQL statement.SELECT product_id, MAX(pp_price) AS pp_price FROM postage GROUP BY product_idAssuming the product ID is stored in that table, that will return each product ID in the table and the highest price for it.

I don't know how your database is structured, but you can probably use a SQL statement.SELECT product_id, MAX(pp_price) AS pp_price FROM postage GROUP BY product_idAssuming the product ID is stored in that table, that will return each product ID in the table and the highest price for it.
Brilliant. Thank you

Archived