Error Suppression With @

skaterdav85

Yes you can. It is a good idea when using a MySQL command so people don't see the location of your database.

In my humble opinion, the @ error-suppression method is a hack. You would be better served to find an error-handling method that suppresses the errors displayed to the site, but notifies you (the site Admin) by email. That way the client never sees the info as per the previous reply, yet you are notified of the error. As Site Admin, you need to know if/when errors happen in order to fix them. There is a good error-handler function in a book by Larry Ullman titled Php 5 Advanced, second edition. Chapter 2. ISBN : 0-321-37601-3.

For production sites it's a good idea to use error logging instead of displaying errors to the screen, that way if people are reporting errors you can just check the error log to see what's happening. I never suppress errors, if an error happens I want to know about it.error_reporting(E_ALL);ini_set('error_log', dirname(__FILE__) . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . 'error.log');ini_set('html_errors', 0);ini_set('log_errors', 1);ini_set('display_errors', 0);That will log all errors and put them in a file called error.log in the same directory as the script.

Archived