Whats Best To Add To Your Html Code, Whats First? Java Script, Java Or Php?

Dreffel

I have this Question for a long time now, and still can't find a answer. Hopefully you guys will be a good help... :)I am into web development [have some HTML and CSS experience, but just on my second book], but don't know what to learn first, Java Scripts? Java? or PHP? I don't want to completely drop the HTML, just learn to use Java related 'stuffies' to add to my HTML and site... Whats the best advice, where to start? I don't want to become a JAVA expert or anything, just to be able to use it in my Web dev...

I would suggest PHP, as it is relatively simple to learn (e.g. as compared to Java Server Pages), but allows you to do far more than a client-side technology like JavaScript. And don't worry, you can never give up HTML as that is what your pages will be rendered with in the end no matter what technology you use (except Flash maybe, but it is still useful to retain HTML knowledge).

PHP runs on the web server, and is primarily used these days to interact with a database or files on the server. PHP is also used to process forms, like login forms or upload forms. You can also use PHP to generate dynamic images, create PDFs, send email from the server, and several other things that a client-side language like Javascript isn't able to do.

PHP adds an enormous amount to web design. It can give the effect of knowing who your visitors are, let users sign in, access saved data, create modular website design (i.e. you can create standard parts of web pages that display depending on who your user is, for example, or at very least let you re-use chunks of HTML)...this forum is powered largely by PHP, so pretty much anything that you see on here is done using PHP (in conjunction with databases). Anything that requires data to be moved around a website can be done using PHP (or Windows own ASP, but that costs, so most only use it if they have to). I'm just learning PHP myself, so someone else can fill you in on more of what it's capable of, but my impression is that it is the difference between a site imparting information and site where users can actually do stuff.

Great! Thanx, that was extremely helpful. Now I have the basic idea of what I can do with PHP.So JAVA doesn't do any of these stuff like the log in and register perks? Or does it? Why do JAVA then?Or JAVA scripts for that matter... What can I do with it?Sorry for extending the topic, but need some help, don't want to do all the unnecessary stuff that I'll never use.I suppose one can make FORUMS like this aswell with PHP, or what should be used?

Java server pages, PHP, and ASP can all do similar things, maybe some easier than others. Javascript is completely unrelated to Java, Javascript is for programming inside the browser. The others are for programming on the server. You can also write an applet using Java that you can load in a browser similar to a Flash movie, in that case the Java applet would have access to things like files on the user's computer and other things that Javascript doesn't have access to.

JSP is often claimed to be far more scalable than PHP, perhaps due to its very extensible object-oriented API-based structure, however it is easier to get a PHP application off the ground. However, since both Java and PHP are fully-featured programming languages that run in the same sorts of environments you can technically do exactly as much in one as in the other.Another advantage of learning Java is that it can be used in non-server environments, as it was designed as a general programming language, while PHP is specifically for serving dynamic web pages. You can run PHP in other circumstances but it isn't well-suited to the task.JavaScript is client-side, as JSG mentioned, so you can do things such as modify the page in real-time, respond instantly to user input, construct HTTP requests (AJAX), and other things that you can't do with a server-side language that only runs as the page loads. You can't do things like query databases or write to files in JS however.And yes, PHP can be used to create a bulletin board system - see phpBB.

I would go PHP and MySql after html. It's what i plan on doing. Working my html and then css, then php, and finally mysql. Java and Java script can come later for me.

Oh, Well, that sound good. What will u specialize in once completing these stuff? What do u want to do? I'm also on HTML now, with some CSS backup, that's why I was asking whats next. Got a pretty good Idea tho... :)

Well I am in schol. My BA is going to be Software Engineering. So after that stuff will come more. For my BA i know I have to learn C++, .Net, and ASP. What I really want is to learn Cold Fusion.

It will be a bacholors of science and arts. I'm doing mine through the univerity of phoenix. But first I have to get through my visuazl comm degree.

Archived