Coding

e4games

I only know the basics of coding I don't know how to make it so that when you login to make more of the site to appear or to make it so when you do this that happens or to make any of the pictures...like a bar showing how much health it has how do you make it change the amount?? Where do you even get the bar it self? Do you have to draw it or buy something..I have no idea how to do any coding...so what should I do?

I only know the basics of coding I don't know how to make it so that when you login to make more of the site to appear or to make it so when you do this that happens or to make any of the pictures...like a bar showing how much health it has how do you make it change the amount?? Where do you even get the bar it self? Do you have to draw it or buy something..I have no idea how to do any coding...so what should I do?
That's about the vaguest post I've ever read while looking for the most specific answer possible. :)I think by the sounds of it your looking for information on flash, i.e. pages that have a loading screen? (PHP would be for the login part most likely) As for the rest I'm stumped. Maybe if you posted some links to examples of what you are looking to do, or maybe just ask one thing at a time in a more clear and concise manner? You're kind of all over the place with this post. Think out your questions and we'll be able to provide some helpful answers for you.

I want the site to kinda look like this site I like the base of it how it's organized and things...my site I'm going to be able to take care of pokemon but I like how this site is set up I have been looking at the source option in the broswer on this site to see how he does it...and it doesn't really help me :)

is there any where i could put in a code and it shows me what it looks like...like make my whole site with code then input the code to see what it looks like so I can see my whole site without letting the viewers see it

is there any where i could put in a code and it shows me what it looks like...like make my whole site with code then input the code to see what it looks like so I can see my whole site without letting the viewers see it
:)You can view webpages from your computer without having them hosted, so you're concern about people seeing your website prematurely is as simple as just not uploading your page(s) to a live server. A webpage can be written as simply as with a program like notepad and viewed in any browser, regardless of whether or not you are online.as far that pokemon site, I wouldn't necessarily follow their coding verbatim. Firstly, they have no DTD on their page, which nowadays is considered to be very bad practice. Secondly, if you use something like the web developers toolbar for firefox, you can do stuff like outline block level elements and see how they are sectioning off their code. With that pokemon site though, they are practically using div's for everything, where (for example the links on the left and right) could each be lists to make the navigation. They way I see it, their site could be the header/banner div at the top, a content div with two lists and a content div inside it; a list floated left, content div in the center, and a list floated right, and then a footer div. Start with trying to just recreate the blocks as you would like them to appear, not with anything fancy going on, just see if you can make that basic layout using HTML and CSS and just start learning how to play with boxes, padding, margins, positioning, etc. Start small and work your way up.

but...where do u put it (the code) to view the it? If you are just writing code in notepad then just saving it and uploaded files into the directory...where can u view it?
You can view webpages from your computer without having them hosted, so you're concern about people seeing your website prematurely is as simple as just not uploading your page(s) to a live server. A webpage can be written as simply as with a program like notepad and viewed in any browser, regardless of whether or not you are online.
c'mon buddy, you got to at least meet us half-way and read our responses. and when you want to upload it, you just do the same thing you would do to view any other page. and for that, jsg got you there.
You open a browser and go to the URL of your page.
sorry, I hope I'm not coming off as too harsh.

First, if your page contains server-side code such as PHP or ASP, then it does need to be hosted. If it's a static HTML file, you can double-click on it, or you can open your browser and go to File->Open, or you can open your browser and drag the HTML file into the window. The URL for local files is something like this:file://c:\path\to\file.html

Right-click on the newly created HTML file (which should be saved on your computer somewhere with a .html extension), select "Open with..." and select the browser you would like to view it in.

don't get what ur saying if you go to file then open then it just shows you things of sites you've been to...if you drag the file into the webpage then it just displays the code not what it will actually look like
i can't believe this thread is still going.... :)Step 1: Save a file as .html, say index.html and put it it a folder called my_website, maybe in a folder called websites, perhaps? Step 2: With Firefox, open firefox, in the file menu choose 'Open File', and use that window to navigate to the folder with index.html, should be in my_websites, inside whatever folder you decided put that in. With Internet Explorer open IE, in the file menu choose 'Open', click on browse, and use that window to navigate to the folder with index.html, should be in my_websites, inside whatever folder you decided to put that that in. Step 3: Double click on the file.Step 4: BOOKMARK THE PAGE (FOR THE LOVE OF MY SANITY.....)there, done. please tell me you got that to work. :)

Archived