Menu Opinons

damiancds

For about the last week, I've been working on a horizontal bar menu for a website and keep coming on new ways and better looking ideas of it.My question is: is there anything wrong with using javascript for a navigation menu (is it a bad idea)I ask because I thought that the user could have javascript turned off on their end and it would display properly, or they would keep getting asked that a script is trying to run, allow? which doesn't seem very professional to have your navigation menu not properly displayed or not displayed at all.I also wasn't sure if I should've put this in the javascript section.any input would be appreciated,thanks

When using Javascript just to make my page look more dynamic, I build a pure HTML structure that works without Javascript, and then modify it however I like with Javascript. Javascript has access to everything on the page, so you can modify the page however you like if Javascript is enabled.

It's fine to use Javascript to make the navigation easier to use, but set it up so that if Javascript is disabled it gracefully degrades to something that is still usable, even though it might not look as nice. So set it up in something like a UL list and use Javascript to transform it into something better. If Javascript is off then they can still just click the links in the list.edit: what he said

Thanks for the replies,I was going ahead and messing around with the menu, and the only thing the javascript seems to have affected was some drop shadow and a fade in effect (both not really missed if someone's javascript is disabled)but I will experiment more and see if anything else is affected.

Archived