Php Error Suppression With @

skaterdav85

is it a good idea to use the @ sign and suppress all potential errors when using mysqli functions when a site is live? If so, how do people go about doing this since im assuming you dont use the @ sign on all your mysqli functions during development?

I never suppress errors. If a page is giving errors then it's broken and needs to be fixed. During development and on live sites, I instead prefer to redirect all errors to a file instead of displaying them. That way if people are reporting errors I can download the file to see the messages.

is it a good idea to use the @ sign and suppress all potential errors when using mysqli functions when a site is live? If so, how do people go about doing this since im assuming you dont use the @ sign on all your mysqli functions during development?
Except when outputting image content, I don't see a reason to surpress errors. If they're there, you have to fix them. If they're not then there's nothing to hide to begin with.

I never suppress errors. If a page is giving errors then it's broken and needs to be fixed. During development and on live sites, I instead prefer to redirect all errors to a file instead of displaying them. That way if people are reporting errors I can download the file to see the messages.
how do you do that? say you did this:mysqli_connect($dbc, $some_query);how would you redirect an error to another file? Does that other file save the errors or something?

error_reporting(E_ALL);ini_set('error_log', dirname(__FILE__) . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . 'error.log');ini_set('html_errors', 0);ini_set('log_errors', 1);ini_set('display_errors', 0);That will redirect all errors to a file called error.log in the same directory. Just make sure PHP has write permissions on the error log.

Archived