Just Starting Out

ajbitton

The web server and FTP server are the same thing, FTP is just the process you use to upload your files to the web server. When you upload a file to the server you should be able to access the same filename through a web browser with your domain and the filename in the URL. If you want to upload a web page, just create a web page on your local machine and upload it to the server, then you'll be able to access it in a browser. I don't use GoDaddy, but they might have a certain place set up where you need to put files in order for them to be accessible on the web, or you might just be able to upload things to the root of wherever your FTP account goes.

What i have is a domain name i bought from godaddy.com i payed around 22$ for it, i believe it has an advertising box atop of the webpage. Anywho im stuck i dont know how to combine my graphics and template with the site. im trying to understand how the website connects to the "ftp" sever, if thats what its called. if someone can please just refer me to somewhere or tell me how to start maybe what to look for. Thanks any help if great.
GoDaddy does have a upload feature, but if you are looking to get into web design, you need to learn how to upload to the FTP via Dreamweaver.

GoDaddy does have a upload feature, but if you are looking to get into web design, you need to learn how to upload to the FTP via Dreamweaver.
And why specifically Dreamweaver instead of any other FTP client?

And why specifically Dreamweaver instead of any other FTP client?
Because its integrated into the IDE. You can hit "Save", and it will be there, on the live server.Though I see your point - not just Dreamwaver indeed - any editor that has a similar option too.And it would be a good thing if one learns how to use FTP with any FTP client too.

Because its integrated into the IDE. You can hit "Save", and it will be there, on the live server.Though I see your point - not just Dreamwaver indeed - any editor that has a similar option too.And it would be a good thing if one learns how to use FTP with any FTP client too.
That's the point. From the context, it sounds as if one who can't use Dreamweaver can't be a good web designer:
if you are looking to get into web design, you need to learn how to upload to the FTP via Dreamweaver.

Filezilla will save changes to the server too, you can connect and right-click on a remote file and do View/Edit. As long as you have it set up to open the file in whatever editor you're using, when you hit save Filezilla will prompt to upload the file back.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Filezilla and it's simple. I believe I only read it's tutorial once and since then it's been a snap, plus free. If you are just starting out I recommend using the many online tutorials for web developers. W3Schools covers many subjects as I'm sure you've realized. Right?For a beginner developer I believe their web building tutorial is a great place to start: http://www.w3schools.com/site/default.aspInside there is a glossary of web terms that might help you understand some things in the future: http://www.w3schools.com/site/site_glossary.aspI also like to use Wikipedia for terms I don't understand. Googling many questions you have is another good way to keep moving forward. Especially when you get any error code, just type the code in Google and it usually leads you right to an answer.

Archived