Hardware Discussions?

dzhax

Any one else think this site could also focus on other things than just coding? Atleast for the forum side? I have yet to find a decent forum that has a good support community for hardware and other functions of computers, other coding. This forum seems to have a very experienced support community.In the meantime, I was wondering if there was maybe a firmware hack or something that could allow a laptop motherboard to accept more RAM than it currently does.I made the mistake of not looking up the max RAM my laptop could support before buying twice as much...So it got me wondering today if there was a way to somehow increase the amount of RAM a motherboard will support?

This isn't a computer website, it's a web development site. A lot of people seem to forget that. Hardware has basically nothing to do with web development, besides being the support for the server and client machines. There are a whole lot of other forums out there dedicated to hardware if you need it.Talking about hardware in a web development forum is like talking about architecture in a carpentry forum.I can't tell you much about hardware myself, I haven't put a lot of studying into it.

I don't think there should be a hardware forum either, for the same reasons Ingolme listed.

In the meantime, I was wondering if there was maybe a firmware hack or something that could allow a laptop motherboard to accept more RAM than it currently does.I made the mistake of not looking up the max RAM my laptop could support before buying twice as much...So it got me wondering today if there was a way to somehow increase the amount of RAM a motherboard will support?
Maybe... just maybe... if you flash the laptop's BIOS to the latest one, it may increase that limit. You should ask the laptop's manufacturer if you want to be certain. If they say there's no way, then there isn't.Just curious, how much RAM can your laptop support and how much do you want?

Archived