Pngs Look Ugly In Ie?

kensbeijing

I've seen PNG images get like that if you play with their alpha(opacity) filter with Javascript.
Yea, that was a fix for IE6. They say that IE7 and 8 supports alpha transparency. Has anyone saved PNGs for the web on photoshop before? The thing is, I'v got some PNGs that work fine (smaller ones), but these are 100px x 100px and they show up looking like that.

Yea, that was a fix for IE6. They say that IE7 and 8 supports alpha transparency. Has anyone saved PNGs for the web on photoshop before? The thing is, I'v got some PNGs that work fine (smaller ones), but these are 100px x 100px and they show up looking like that.
That's not a fix. Did you read my post properly?I got that problem with PNGs by playing with their opacity in Internet Explorer 7.

That's not a fix. Did you read my post properly?I got that problem with PNGs by playing with their opacity in Internet Explorer 7.
Oh right yea sorry, I thought you mean play with their opacity to achieve the better image. And yea you could be right, my images fade in. Now that's annoying, it will ruin the nice look and feel of my site. I guess I need a huge warning sign to get people off IE as soon as the page loads up.

Oh right yea sorry, I thought you mean play with their opacity to achieve the better image. And yea you could be right, my images fade in. Now that's annoying, it will ruin the nice look and feel of my site. I guess I need a huge warning sign to get people off IE as soon as the page loads up.
The fix is difficult. You need to update the "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader" filter of the image each time you modify the opacity. Complicated, really.

What about saving your images in a different format like jpg or gif?
Only the PNG format has alpha transparency.

Only the PNG format has alpha transparency.
Well as it works fine in other browsers, I can still use the faded affect for them. As for IE, there will be no fading affect, as it won't even support opacity: in CSS. Which is confusing, why can't it be the same like everyone else. :)

Opacity is a CSS3 property, and MS are committed to not supporting CSS3 in IE8 and below. Most other browser's development teams just add features they think are useful :)

Archived