Font Type

jnf555

hiI have used a font on my web page which is not supported by a diferent o/system on a diferent computer to mine, if i load the font folder on to the other computer it works fine.how can i include the font folder in my web page so other that dont have it will get the benifit of the type i am usingthanksjnf555

they would somehow have to be able to download the font themselves, either through your site or somewhere else on the web, although people are very unlikely to do such a thing. The other option is to use CSS to provide backup fonts in the event people don't have said font and then you can at least control what's rendered instead. Other options include using images or flash (but this might be impractical depending on what type of "text" you are using the font for, i.e. <h1> vs. <p>.

no. at least with font-family you can provide alternatives, or use some of the other techniques discussed.

You could try the @font-face CSS construct, but support is a bit patchy for that technique at the moment. Libraries such as sIFR give substitution methods, where the text is dynamically replaced by a server-generated resource (in sIFR's case, a Flash document, though there is one that does images, can't remember the name). That is better for your SEO than straight-out replacing the text with an image.

You could try the @font-face CSS construct, but support is a bit patchy for that technique at the moment. Libraries such as sIFR give substitution methods, where the text is dynamically replaced by a server-generated resource (in sIFR's case, a Flash document, though there is one that does images, can't remember the name). That is better for your SEO than straight-out replacing the text with an image.
but if you replace the text with an image and provide it an alt attribute, would that not replace the "lost" SEO in the sIFR sxample?

but if you replace the text with an image and provide it an alt attribute, would that not replace the "lost" SEO in the sIFR sxample?
The search engine doesn't consider it content of the page, but rather an image with long alternate text. It probably wouldn't use the text to generate keywords.

The search engine doesn't consider it content of the page, but rather an image with long alternate text. It probably wouldn't use the text to generate keywords.
ah, good to know. I thought perhaps I had found a way to provide extra SEO hits by providing a good alt declaration.

Archived