FF anchors and hyperlinks not working on one page

Elemental

Hey Folks, Please, HELP! if and when you can.I've tried everything I know, and the suggestions given by Deirdre's Dad and I still can't seem to make this work. I thought I had it, I posted that after removing the <UL>'s from the <DIV>'s the links were working but it seems to me that after I updated to FF 3.6 they stoped working again.The anchors and hyperlinks just won't work with FF on the 1st page (wordonthestreet.php).The only difference that I've been able to see is that on (wordonthestreet.php) I'm using <UL> tags and on the (faq.php) I'm using an <OL> tagI know I'm asking a lot here but please, when you have a moment, take a look.http://www.shadowlandfoundation.org/temp/wordonthestreet.phphttp://www.shadowlandfoundation.org/temp/faq.phpIt's all I've been working on for the past two days and it's driving me nuts.They both validate, well they did yesterday, via Direct Input's recommendations but not via the URI, but the anchors should still work, right?Peace,Elemental

This might be a stupid question, but did you try replacing the ul tags with ol tags? Because if that is really the only difference, then that will fix it. If that doesn't fix it, then it's not the only difference. I noticed you seem to be using page-specific style sheets, that's obviously a difference also.

This might be a stupid question, but did you try replacing the ul tags with ol tags? Because if that is really the only difference, then that will fix it. If that doesn't fix it, then it's not the only difference. I noticed you seem to be using page-specific style sheets, that's obviously a difference also.
justsomeguy, Thank you for your reply and your question, much appreciated.First of all I can't imagine you ever asking a stupid question; at least, not here on the forums.Yes, I did change the ul's to ol's and that worked but I couldn't figure out why the ul's weren't working; I should have mentioned that in the post but I didn't. My apologies for not being a little more descriptive, I am prone to occasionally going for two to three days straight without getting any sleep and I'm working on that third day as I type this, add to that it's my twins 11th birthday today and I'll soon have a house full of very happy and excited pre-teens, so yes I missed a couple of things, very important things, in my original post and for that I strongly apologies; it's never my intent to waste anyone's time and unfortunately I have.I get caught up in the wanting to know why a certain thing isn't doing what I think it should be doing and I can get lost in that quest, it's a huge fault of mine and one I haven't quite gotten a hold of, yet.I've been using specific stylesheets because I still haven't made the jump to a single one which I know "is stupid" since it's counter intuitive to what stylesheets were intended for. I'm a slow learner, a very slow learner for something's, unfortunately; I'm still breaking down that Ext_CMS you were so kind in providing me with several months ago. Again, my apologies and thank you for taking the time and asking about the ul / ol switch. Peace,Elemental

When I use Firebug to inspect the elements on that page, it highlights the footer element. So, when you click on the link you're actually clicking on the footer element, which is why the link doesn't receive the click. One issue I see is that the ul element is floated to the left, and the ol element is not floated. The li elements under the ul are also floated. When you float an element you remove it from the normal DOM structure, so the height of that element doesn't get counted in with the rest of the measurements. That's why the browser is setting the top of the footer element so high, because there isn't a non-floated block element to push the top of the footer down. If you remove the floats you'll be able to click on the Top links.

When I use Firebug to inspect the elements on that page, it highlights the footer element. So, when you click on the link you're actually clicking on the footer element, which is why the link doesn't receive the click. One issue I see is that the ul element is floated to the left, and the ol element is not floated. The li elements under the ul are also floated. When you float an element you remove it from the normal DOM structure, so the height of that element doesn't get counted in with the rest of the measurements. That's why the browser is setting the top of the footer element so high, because there isn't a non-floated block element to push the top of the footer down. If you remove the floats you'll be able to click on the Top links.
justsomeguy, Thank you for your persistence and most importantly your patience, your help is most appreciated.By removing the main div's left float style it all fell into place on FF, even IE was happy; and yes I did finally sleep after the mayhem... I mean birthday party.I did check on Firebug before I posted but to be honest, and I'm not ashamed to admit it, even though I saw the whole page light up as you mentioned I didn't know what to do with that information, I kept looking at the code and it all seemed correct to me and as frustrated as I was by then I came to the experts.You've educated me again with the float measurement not counted, it's been duly noted, that single, simple change made all the difference; thank you again.If you're still with me, would the use of a table, in a case like this, be proper? Could this be considered tabular information?Peace,Elemental

I kept looking at the code and it all seemed correct
It's not about being correct or incorrect so much as the behavior the various properties cause. When I use Firebug like that, I click on the footer element and then I go to where it's showing the CSS properties for that element, and I just start disabling properties or adding new ones. Firebug will let you dynamically change, add, or disable CSS properties and see the results, so that's the easiest way to play around and find out what effects the different properties actually have on the page.As for tables, I'm not real puritanical about how they're used, if a table solves a problem that would take a lot of time and effort to solve otherwise, then I consider a table a good solution for that problem (assuming that using the table doesn't introduce other problems). It's all about using your time wisely.

It's not about being correct or incorrect so much as the behavior the various properties cause. When I use Firebug like that, I click on the footer element and then I go to where it's showing the CSS properties for that element, and I just start disabling properties or adding new ones. Firebug will let you dynamically change, add, or disable CSS properties and see the results, so that's the easiest way to play around and find out what effects the different properties actually have on the page.As for tables, I'm not real puritanical about how they're used, if a table solves a problem that would take a lot of time and effort to solve otherwise, then I consider a table a good solution for that problem (assuming that using the table doesn't introduce other problems). It's all about using your time wisely.
justsomeguy, Thank you again for your continued support... but seriously, thank you for all your help and advise it's much appreciated.I'm not a puritan either but I do like doing things as "correctly" as possible. I see your point and I'll keep that in mind as well; it's not about right or wrong but about getting it to work and getting it done; anyway, I think that's close to what you meant.By the way THANK YOU for the link, it made my day. I really had no idea that IE was so disliked in the developer community at least that's been my experience so far. The irony for me has been that, usually, no matter what I threw at it, it did it without to much complaint.Of course that was before I knew what I thought I knew, which of course is less than what I really knew since what I knew wasn’t much to begin with. But Now, Today, I’m on my way to more learning… Yeah baby… That’s just what I wanted… More studying, more… stuff to learn; yea.Peace,Elemental

Archived