Nevermind, FIXED: was Fix Div ID problem

Hitch

N.B. - I fixed this. I'm an idiot, the answer was obvious; I duplicated the #div in the CSS, eliminating the image, and called the duped div on the unique page. DUHR. Thanks, gang!Hi!First, thanks for taking the time to read this.Second, I have a site I've been working on, here: http://www.northofcarefree.com/index.php?/coffee/ . It's very raw, using placeholder text right now for design purposes. It's based on a design from http://www.metamorphozis.com/ , and I like the design, I've put a lot of suffering into morphing it to work with the CMS because I'm using Expression Engine (don't ask), BUT, I need to change one page. The page I need to change--am in the process of changing--is here: http://www.northofcarefree.com/index.php?/coffee/book_page/ I am no CSS hero; I can get around okay, and edit it frequently with success, but I have NO three-dimensional visual spatialization skills, so designing around divs is hard for me, even with the help of Firebug. I want to create a full-page div (content container) that looks just like the content containers that hold the articles/blog posts on the index and other pages, with the h4 headers and the beige-y background. I want it to run about 990 across, give or take a few pixels. I thought if I could get it designed, I could float it on top by stacking it. BUT, here's where my brain leaves the tracks: the "content" div ID has the beige-y background set as part of its design. The div "content" is used on EVERY page, so I can't simply turn off/delete the background repeating image, it'll screw up the rest of the site. The content div's css looks like this:

#content{	margin: 0 auto;	background: #1e7c01;	width: 989px;	text-align: left;	background: url({site_url}/coffee_images/mainbg.gif) repeat-y center;}

I "simply" want to take the content box (just like the ones that appear on the index page), and spread one across the page, giving me a big blank "canvas" in which to insert a flash file. But the combination of the two existing divs (left and right) and the problem with the content div is too confusing for me. Can someone point me in the right direction? I started adding a div called "book" and some other "book" elements, in the css, to see if I could even get them to show up on the page, and then go from there, but when I ran into the issue with the content div I just kind of brain-exploded. Am I missing something simple and obvious? (Likely). If anyone here would help, I'd appreciate it. I'd recraft the whole thing, but S&R in EE is a real PITA. Any thoughts? Thanks again for your time in reading this.Hitch

I don't exactly know what cms you are using, but with joomla it usually comes in a 1 to 3 column layout, where the left is for left menu, and login, middle column will contain article content, and right will contain other features. You control what columns are shown for specific pages, so if you required full page content you would hide the left, right columns, this will cause the content column to stretch to the fulll width of the page.the other option (in joomla) more complcated is to create a module, give it a specific unique module position name, and insert this reference to this module, within the index page.I would have thought the cms you are using would work to the same principle.

I don't exactly know what cms you are using, but with joomla it usually comes in a 1 to 3 column layout, where the left is for left menu, and login, middle column will contain article content, and right will contain other features. You control what columns are shown for specific pages, so if you required full page content you would hide the left, right columns, this will cause the content column to stretch to the fulll width of the page.the other option (in joomla) more complcated is to create a module, give it a specific unique module position name, and insert this reference to this module, within the index page.I would have thought the cms you are using would work to the same principle.
No, EE--Expression Engine--doesn't work like that at ALL. In fact, I think it would be more accurate to call it a CMS framework than a CMS like Joomla or Wordpress, where everything's done for you. In EE, pretty much everything from a layout standpoint is manual--you write it from scratch, which I've done here, more or less, modifying it from the original design by Metamorphosis. So, forget the CMS--that's a no-go. (FWIW, it also makes EE endlessly flexible; you can put any type of content in any type of categorization or content container in any kind of template or design...but you can't just "push a button" like you do with Joomla or WP and make stuff happen.)So: I still have the problem, which is, how do I modify the content container that is part of the content div, or eliminate it only for THIS page, without affecting any other pages? Should I write a new div, and float it OVER the original div? That doesn't feel like very solid Best Practices. Any CSS whiz here that wants to give me a shove in the right direction? Please?Thx,Hitch

can you use javascript just for this page and target its display property?
apparently it is fixed see post #1
Yes, I "fixed" it, thank you both; I simply duplicated the div with a different name, eliminated the image from the 2nd div and called the second div in lieu of the original on the page I needed to change. Felt like an idiot when I realized what a simple answer it was. Thank you both!Hitch

Archived