input tags outside form tags

niche

Is it possible to trigger the action of a form with a submit button that's outside the form tags? If so, how should this example be rescripted to make the input tag work outside the form tags?<html><body><form name="input" action="html_form_action.asp" method="get">First name: <input type="text" name="FirstName" value="Mickey" /><br />Last name: <input type="text" name="LastName" value="Mouse" /><br /><input type="submit" value="Submit" /></form></body></html>

<form id="theform" name="input" action="html_form_action.asp" method="get">First name: <input type="text" name="FirstName" value="Mickey" /><br />Last name: <input type="text" name="LastName" value="Mouse" /><br /></form><input type="button" value="Go" onclick="go()" /><!-- OR --><button onclick="go()">Go</button><script type="text/javascript">function go (){document.getElementById('theform').submit();}</script>

Nothing incorrect about that solution, but it does change one of the essential features of a form: a normal form always works; it does not require JavaScript to work.Are you asking this question because you are experiencing layout difficulties when the submit button is inside the form?A form is a block-level element with no inherent style features. You can wrap virtually all your page content inside form tags and not observe a physical difference. In this way it would be possible to contain any number of form elements and a submit button within one set of form tags, regardless of their physical position.I would think very hard about disrupting the normal behavior of a form simply for the sake of a layout decision (if in fact that is what prompted this thread).

Thanks for the help from wirehopper and Deirdre's Dad. It was a layout decision that prompted my question that I'll abandon due to DD's advice. Thanks Again,Niche

Archived