Should I learn ASP

migroo

I am wondering if I should learn asp. I tried to learn it a long time ago but I got frustrated and quit. I found PHP much much easier to learn and so I did that instead. What I want to know is how important is it to learn asp if you want to be a professional web developer some day? Thanks

It's not important at all if you get a job that doesn't use ASP. On the other hand, if you get a job that uses ASP, then it's pretty important. Knowiing ASP just means that you are able to do jobs that require it. If you want to learn it, don't waste time with ASP classic, go to .NET.

Thanks!So php is a full replacement for asp and, unless I want to work for some company that uses asp, php will be fine.Well then I will just learn all the other stuff I want to learn and not worry about asp until some other time way down the road.

Thanks!So php is a full replacement for asp and, unless I want to work for some company that uses asp, php will be fine.Well then I will just learn all the other stuff I want to learn and not worry about asp until some other time way down the road.
I wouldn't view it as a full replacement. Think of it as a substitute good. ASP only works on Windows based servers, but it is a proprietary language, where as PHP is open source.

If you ask me, ASP is a waste of time. (Unless, like jsg pointed out, you get a job where ASP is used) The syntax is no where near as clean and clear as PHP. [Almost] anything you can do in ASP, you can do more easily in PHP. The only exception is working with MS proprietary formats like Word or Excel documents, where ASP obviously does better....But that's just my opinion. :)

ASP.NET is used very widely in the corporate programming world. One of the benefits is that the developers can use C# to write it, and they can use the same language to also write their desktop applications. PHP isn't very useful for creating desktop applications, the .NET platform is far superior in that respect. Many corporations are also on the hook to Microsoft already for Windows, Office, and servers like Exchange and Active Directory, so it may make sense to them to add SQL Server and .NET to that.

I think it's better to learn one skill set well, instead of many lightly. So, if you like PHP, and you're good at it - stick with it and get better. If you like ASP, do the same.Most companies will look at a candidate that lists a huge variety of technologies and wonder which ones the person is really good at - or if they're just making a big list of stuff they know a little about.Finally, you can't be everything to everyone - in anything.

Guest minisansana
I wouldn't view it as a full replacement. Think of it as a substitute good. ASP only works on Windows based servers, but it is a proprietary language, where as PHP is open source.
Doesn't Apache have an ASP module? I guess it wouldn't be as powerful though.

Doesn't Apache have an ASP module? I guess it wouldn't be as powerful though.
There is no official implementation of the ASP classic, or .NET platform, for Apache. Various third parties have tried writing ports, but they generally aren't very good.

Archived