Navigation Bar

razayel

Hi guys,I'm working on a navigation bar. When Im trying to view it in a browser, it doesnt work.I dont know what the problem is.this is my HTML file:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" /><title>Test</title> <link rel="stylesheet" href="style bar.css" /></head> <body> <ul id="Menu">	<li><a href="#Home" class="Home">Home</a></li>    <li><a href="#About" class="About">About</a></li>    <li><a href="#Admissions" class="Admissions">Admissions</a></li>    <li><a href="#Concact" class="Concact">Concact</a></li>    <li><a href="#Workshops" class="Workshops">Workshops</a></li></ul>  </body></html>

And this is my CSS file:

* { margin: 0; padding: 0; }ul#Menu {	width: 517px; margin: 250px auto;	list-style: none;}ul#Menu li { display: inline; }	ul#Menu li a {	display: block; float: left; height: 56px;	background-image: url(navigation.png); text-indent: -9999px;}	ul#Menu li a.Home {		width: 96px; background-position: 0 0;		}		ul#Menu li a.About {		width: 108px; background-position: -96px 0;		}		ul#Menu li a.Admissions {		width: 97px; background-position: -204px 0;		}		ul#Menu li a.Concact {		width: 121px; background-position: -301px 0;		}		ul#Menu li a.Workshops {		width: 94px; background-position: -422px 0;		}			ul#Menu li a.Home:hover, ul#Menu li a.Home:focus {		background-position: 0 -56px;		}		ul#Menu li a.About:hover, ul#Menu li a.About:focus {		background-position: -96px -56px;		}		ul#Menu li a.Admissions:hover, ul#Menu li a.Admissions:focus {		background-position: -204px -56px;		}		ul#Menu li a.Concact:hover, ul#Menu li a.Concact:focus {		background-position: -301px -56px;		}		ul#Menu li a.Workshops:hover, ul#Menu li a.Workshops:focus {		background-position: -422px -56px;		}	a { outline: none; }

And here is my PNG File:navigation.pngThank you,Raoul

Your css filename has a space in it? Not allowed. Replace it with an underscore or something and give it a bash.

also, a description of the problem is generally more helpful. although I'm sure chibeniku's suggestion will help.

The problem is that the image is not shown.If I test it, I can see that when I mouse over the page, the mouse changes to a hand.That means that the HTML is working, but the css and/or the image isnt working.

I removed the space. It is called styleBar now. But Ive found something out. I reduced the text-indent to 5 px. Now the text of the HTML is shown, but still the png isnt working.

A question, but not pertinent to your problem: when you say concact, do you mean contact? As music_lp90 is implying, is the path to your png correct?

A question, but not pertinent to your problem: when you say concact, do you mean contact? As music_lp90 is implying, is the path to your png correct?
My english is bad. :) But what is music_lp90?

My english is bad. :) But what is music_lp90?
look at the names of the people posting trying to help you....anyway, as for your problem, you should also try including a background-image property to each of the selectors and pseudo classes where you are using background-position so it knows which image to look for.http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_image_sprites.asp

look at the names of the people posting trying to help you....anyway, as for your problem, you should also try including a background-image property to each of the selectors and pseudo classes where you are using background-position so it knows which image to look for.http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_image_sprites.asp
hey, thanks !I know what the problem is.I made a mistake in Photoshop. The layers were fit all together.I have to make seperate layers.

really? That .png file looks fine the way it is. All a sprite does is take any normal image and adjust the viewport based on coordinates, so you only need to have one image instead of multiple images. I don't see what layers would have to do with it, other than changing the final output, unless somehow it is different from what you posted.

Hi!Are U Sure Na Your Stylesheet Name Is styleBar.css In Your Folder?<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styleBar.css" />
the first half of this thread already went over that. He changed it from "style bar" to "styleBar".

really? That .png file looks fine the way it is. All a sprite does is take any normal image and adjust the viewport based on coordinates, so you only need to have one image instead of multiple images. I don't see what layers would have to do with it, other than changing the final output, unless somehow it is different from what you posted.
wow, Im shocked. I was started all over again and made it with seperate layers, but that wasnt the problem.I dont understand it anymore. :)

anyway, as for your problem, you should also try including a background-image property to each of the selectors and pseudo classes where you are using background-position so it knows which image to look for.http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_image_sprites.asp

with an image file navigation.png 567px x 112px this will work

* { margin: 0; padding: 0; }ul#Menu {width: 567px; margin: 200px auto;list-style: none;}ul#Menu li {display: inline; }ul#Menu li a {display: block; float: left; height: 56px; text-indent: -9999px; background-image: url(navigation.png);}ul#Menu li a.Home {width: 84px; background-position: 0 0;}ul#Menu li a.About {width: 98px; background-position: -84px 0;}ul#Menu li a.Admissions {width: 144px; background-position: -182px 0;}ul#Menu li a.Concact {width: 105px; background-position: -326px 0;}ul#Menu li a.Workshops {width: 135px; background-position: -431px 0;}ul#Menu li a.Home:hover, ul#Menu li a.Home:focus {background-position: 0 -56px;}ul#Menu li a.About:hover, ul#Menu li a.About:focus {background-position: -84px -56px;}ul#Menu li a.Admissions:hover, ul#Menu li a.Admissions:focus {background-position: -182px -56px;}ul#Menu li a.Concact:hover, ul#Menu li a.Concact:focus {background-position: -326px -56px;}ul#Menu li a.Workshops:hover, ul#Menu li a.Workshops:focus {background-position: -431px -56px;}a { outline: none; }

with an image file navigation.png 567px x 112px this will work
* { margin: 0; padding: 0; }ul#Menu {width: 567px; margin: 200px auto;list-style: none;}ul#Menu li {display: inline; }ul#Menu li a {display: block; float: left; height: 56px; text-indent: -9999px; background-image: url(navigation.png);}ul#Menu li a.Home {width: 84px; background-position: 0 0;}ul#Menu li a.About {width: 98px; background-position: -84px 0;}ul#Menu li a.Admissions {width: 144px; background-position: -182px 0;}ul#Menu li a.Concact {width: 105px; background-position: -326px 0;}ul#Menu li a.Workshops {width: 135px; background-position: -431px 0;}ul#Menu li a.Home:hover, ul#Menu li a.Home:focus {background-position: 0 -56px;}ul#Menu li a.About:hover, ul#Menu li a.About:focus {background-position: -84px -56px;}ul#Menu li a.Admissions:hover, ul#Menu li a.Admissions:focus {background-position: -182px -56px;}ul#Menu li a.Concact:hover, ul#Menu li a.Concact:focus {background-position: -326px -56px;}ul#Menu li a.Workshops:hover, ul#Menu li a.Workshops:focus {background-position: -431px -56px;}a { outline: none; }

how do you know the width and the background-position?

you gave the width, the height should be the total height of the before hover, and after hover image placed over the top of each other. Then it is a matter of trial and error until you get the required result, but i was able to get a guide by measuring distance between left and right edges of each button.

Archived