Recommendations on Webmail script

End User

I'm looking for suggestions or recommendations on a good webmail script, i.e. Roundcube, AfterLogic, Tdah Mail, etc. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but I'm looking for something with a reasonable set of features that will run on an Linux/Debian server. I've already ruled out Squirrel Mail- my IP installs it by default, but they include it as a server-wide setup so it doesn't support multiple instances (you can't use it simultaneously on two domains on the same server). The interface is also a little klunky, in my opinion.What would you recommend or suggest?

but.... it's webmail for nuts.
It's dreadful. Seriously, if you install it, 1995 will call and say they want their webmail app back. I'm testing T-Dah, AfterLogic Webmail Lite, and a few others. I suggest skipping ATMail- a base level install created ~148 tables, one for each letter of the alphabet for users, one for each letter of the alphabet for address book entries, and one for each letter of the alphabet for search terms. I'm not sure what the other 70+ tables did. It also uses IonCube encoding, so thanks but no thanks.

Horde?
Install Horde?? Geez, what did I ever do to you? lolNo, Horde was one of the first ones scratched from the list. It's way, way too much. It's looking like it'll be T-Dah mail. It's not perfect, but usable. Sadly, it doesn't use a database, but that's not a requirement for me.AfterLogic webmail also looks good, but it won't automatically check for mail. You have to click a button, wait, click a button, wait, click a button, wait, click a button, wait, etc etc. Lather, rinse, repeat. The support forum says it's like really super-duper complicated to do and maybe they'll add that feature someday. Puh-lease.I mean, it's 2010 for Christ's sake, the computer-thingy should be smart enough to look for mail without being told to. That's what computers are for. We landed on the Moon over 40 years ago, but I still gotta click a button to see if I have mail? Nooooooooooooo.

Update: AfterLogic webmail does have a version that will automatically check for new mail automatically...it's their "Pro" version, and costs ~$150. But with all of the excellent free alternatives out there, I really can't see why I'd spend the money. Yes, I could hack it to check for new mail, but it's not worth my time.

Archived