<if>

aquaben

Hey I'm just wondering if there si a possiblility to get a different background automaticly change either per day or time of day like we can with writting?Example with writting:<script type="text/javascript">var d = new Date();theDay=d.getDay();switch (theDay){case 5:

document.write(<b>Today is Friday</b>"); break;

case 6:

document.write(<b>today is Saturday</b>);break;

}</script>

If it's just document.write(), you can write whatever you want to.

document.write('<div style="background-color: blue"></div>');

I'd recommend a server-side language for this task, though.

If it's just document.write(), you can write whatever you want to.
document.write('<div style="background-color: blue"></div>');

I'd recommend a server-side language for this task, though.

Ok I'll admit im a noob (again lol :) ) could you explain what a server-side language?

I actually wouldn't do it like that, personally. Seems like it would get messy trying to put all of the information inside that div. I would just do this-

<body>   ...stuff</body>

.....case 5:   document.body.style.background = "images/friday.jpg";break;case 6:   document.body.style.bgColor = "#FF000000"; //Redbreak;.....

EDIT:Or if you are using images and really smart do this-

document.body.style.background = "images/background" + theDay + ".jpg";

and have images like background1.jpg, background2.jpg, etc...Serverside script: PHP is an example. Javascript is executed on the visitors computer. PHP is executed on the website's server.

Ok I'll admit im a noob (again lol :) ) could you explain what a server-side language?
server-side language is exactly what it sounds like. It is code (scripts) that execute on the server. Javascript runs in the clients browser window, so it could be referred to as a client-side script. The magic of dynamic webpages is getting the two to talk to each other.you can read all about Javascript, PHP/SQL, and AJAX in the w3schools tutorials.

Archived