To Flash or Not to Flash

DizzyDan

If I were talking about Hot Babes I would be the first one to start a 'Flash' Chant!!!! But! as a website I personally am NOT a fan of it. Several people have mentioned to me how 'cool' flash sites can be and how they are 'different'. Telling me to create my website as a flash site. I usually print those suggestions out to then crumple them up and toss them into the garbage (over the shoulder is 2 points!)Perosnally I think they are lame. Don't get me wrong I believe if applied correctly it is aweseome but when I see so much of it, to me that just gets to be to much. It has to load... (which really takes seconds... but still!), then there is that update flash player pop up that occurs often.Do you think that you would be limiting the audiance to your website? I know that when I run into to a flash player update, I just move on to another site because well, I just plain old do not feel like updating it. im sure its just a small percent but you never know!I think applying some flash is cool. It can be appealing, highlight certain things and add some interaction within the site but to dedicate the whole page with flash is a thumbs down for me.

My biggest problem with Flash is that it can cause a lot of problems for low end computers. I am forced to use a thin client at work which has horrible graphics and Flash ads, and movies are very choppy and can slow the page down. Also Flash is not readable to search engines so your pages don't get index properly (there now are ways around this I have heard but I'm not sure).

Flash is fine for applications, but it's usually not necessary for regular sites. Sites like grooveshark.com do fine with a Flash application, but that's because their site is essentially a single application, not a traditional web site. Unless there's a compelling reason to write your site as an application in Flash, doing it for the novelty is pretty pointless. You can get a lot of the same interactions using Javascript and CSS.

Archived