web design employers are..?

Brendon Branigin

im just curious to why web developer/designer employers insist that the potential employee have 4 years of exp in every scripting language known to man and able to work with every database ever invented. Im going through craigslist and these posts are rediculoussome of them want things like perl, is perl even used anymore? are all employers this dumb?

They're not dumb. They're ignorant. They just don't know enought themselves about webprogramming to decide what programming language/database/technology is best, so they write them all. While many extend their knowledge to include a second programming language or maybe even a third, we all have one area of expertise. Noone can have 4 years experience in every language of course.

so they dont actualy expect somone to know all of them? they just list them all so that they can find somone who knows atleast one?

No, they don't know what they're really looking for, what language is what. So they list all to get the best either way. Let's say the don't know the difference in asp and sql. If they wrote they needed someone with knowledge in sql and oracle, that would be embarrassing, cause they'd also need a programming language. My guess is they google all the web technologies and list them all.

I think it's more likely that they visit sites such as W3Schools and get the list from the menu :) .

I agree. It is very difficult to search for a job these days because it seems that so many companies are competing to see who can list the most requirements rather than get the most focused individuals.It never fails to amaze me when companies want a webdesigner and then list several different types of web coding, server side coding, 3 different types of SQL and Access, then 2-3 different types of report systems or 2 different levels of Crystal Reports. How can you take such companies serious when they dont even know what they need in the first place?

and they never reply to you...not even to confirm they've received an application.i need to start chasing all these companies up...they probably delete over half of the applications without even looking at them..probably go for people with cool names or something..

I have one experience with an ignorant web employer.He wanted someone to build him a news and company status site, very simple. Guess what languages he asked for. :|Visual Basic, Perl, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, DHTML, and SQL. What the heck? JavaScript? Visual Basic? DHTML? ????:)

if you are intimidated by the requirements don't apply. its often intentional. see, 10 years ago the ads for computer jobs were worded very specifically. employers hired one individual for one individual task - that was the way IT was sold back then. but as technology advanced and it began to multitask, so was the need for the person hired to work it. so, the hiree ended up having to have more requirements/skill sets. during this transition. the folks that were hired for one job and one job only either lost their job and career to became car salesmen, or they started to adapt and learned other skill sets.That is what brings us to todays market where an employer seeks individuals that have an array of skills that can be taken advantage of in many different ways. why higher a web developer that only knows HTML, when you can hire one that has server software experience and network administration skills. they may primarily be used as a developer, but their well rounded background provides the employeer an additional resource whenever they least expect needing it and typically means less babysitting - i.e. with the network skills the web developer would be going to the network administration team for all sorts of stuff where one with the skills can find their way around.so, when you see a job posting with a long array of skill sets, the others here are correct, they are not expecting you to know them all. but where I feel they are incorrect is that they often are skills used elsewhere in the organization - just not in the state position. By advertising all of them, the employer is able to see how the hiree will fit into the organization overall. that is what is important to an employer - find someone who fits and feels like they fit, cuz they will tend to stick around more than those that don't.expose yourself to the skill sets mentioned in these jobs enough to be able to hold an general conversation about them - that shows that you can adapt to the working environment if needed.

I have one experience with an ignorant web employer.He wanted someone to build him a news and company status site, very simple. Guess what languages he asked for. :|Visual Basic, Perl, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, DHTML, and SQL. What the heck? JavaScript? Visual Basic? DHTML? ????:)

JavaScript, VB and DHTML. LOL. But what about Perl? Did he want to use that as a serverside script along with SQL? Perl is hardly the fastest serverside language, really... :)