Making money...

ApocalypeX

I'm a community developer. Meaning I do stuff for free and for the joy it brings others. Which concludes in me not seeing pennies from web developing. Since I want to go into a programming job when I finish uni I need to start learning how to make money. Of course I don't just want to make money I care about my works but we all need something to live off.Any tips on what generates money online from your works or doing work?Advertising and client are all I can think of.

If you've made contacts doing the free work, let them know that you're trying to make a go of it for a living - recommendations are the best way of finding work.One thing to avoid are the bid-for-work sites - people make such low offers that the work is not worth doing.I guess, also, make sure you have your own website to advertise yourself and (if possible) get a link to it from the site's you've worked on so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Any one has something free? That website that ApocalypseX linked is not actually free, as you need a paid subscription to do anything (like applying, being visible on 'search', etc)I'm a beginner at PHP/mysql/javascript, i just started 2 weeks ago a project that includes a game made entirely with php/mysql with some js and AJAX (haven't learned AJAX or jquery yet). And besides this i'm really looking for a website where i can apply as a freelance (i don't need money, i just wanted for experience + for my portfolio).

Any one has something free? That website that ApocalypseX linked is not actually free, as you need a paid subscription to do anything (like applying, being visible on 'search', etc)I'm a beginner at PHP/mysql/javascript, i just started 2 weeks ago a project that includes a game made entirely with php/mysql with some js and AJAX (haven't learned AJAX or jquery yet). And besides this i'm really looking for a website where i can apply as a freelance (i don't need money, i just wanted for experience + for my portfolio).
I recommend doing some work for an online community you are part of or for s game you enjoy. That's how I started getting experience and doing free work for the Bungie/Halo community.If you have started a game, make the game better and better you'll get enough experience from that and reading more advanced topics in programming. Even today I was thinking about a project I did thinking "Why did I use dates and not milliseconds since 1.1.1970 it would make it so much more efficient!".Could we have a link to this game? :) I wanna play

Its in pre-alpha stage, i'm still working at character class (i still haven't implemented how items and auras work, but the creation of a "character" is almost done.Btw...i've found this very nice website [1], I hope this could a bit helpful... unfortunately there are so many bidders there + I don't actually want to work for money.If there's actually a person that's really bored (or just started learning the basics of oop programming in php), i'd love to start a collaboration with him.[1] http://www.freelancer.com/

Archived