Content Management System?

eduard

that's one option. Someone can create their own or use one created by someone else.
You have written: that´s one option! What are the other options?

Another option is... not using a CMS.The most basic way to update your site is to connect to the server through FTP and just upload your files from your computer. Actually, maybe the most basic way is to open a SSH connection and create the files right on the server, but that's not very fun. With FTP you're just uploading files that you've already created on your computer. If you have a database serving the site's content up, you can't transfer the database through FTP, so that's more complex. You generally need to export the database from where it is and then import it on the server if you want to update the entire database. Other than doing everything manually, CMSs try to automate all of that for you.

Another option is... not using a CMS.The most basic way to update your site is to connect to the server through FTP and just upload your files from your computer. Actually, maybe the most basic way is to open a SSH connection and create the files right on the server, but that's not very fun. With FTP you're just uploading files that you've already created on your computer. If you have a database serving the site's content up, you can't transfer the database through FTP, so that's more complex. You generally need to export the database from where it is and then import it on the server if you want to update the entire database. Other than doing everything manually, CMSs try to automate all of that for you.
Thank you very much! It is complicated to me and I am now busy with other things (e. g. translations english-spanish)! I will come back later regarding this subject.

Thank you very much! It is complicated to me and I am now busy with other things (e. g. translations english-spanish)! I will come back later regarding this subject.
This is to complicated to me, so using CMS?

Actually, maybe the most basic way is to open a SSH connection and create the files right on the server, but that's not very fun.
Why isn't it? I prefer it that way. We edit all of our reports and documents directly from the server in the live website (intranet) directory. Of course, we work on copies of files when we need to make changes to existing documents, but new documents are created directly in the intranet filesystem. Saves the extra step of uploading. And when you need to test it, just click Save and refresh the page and that's it.Then again, everything is on our own servers....A hosted set up might be a different story.

Even a CMS requires configuration, and this is easiest AFTER you know what you HTML, CSS, etc. Plus, you will have to learn the CMS. The good ones are complicated. Learning how to use your CMS will require time that could be spent learning more about web development itself.And if you do not like the exact look of the templates provided by your CMS, you will have to learn enough about HTML and CSS to change them.I use WordPress for my blog CMS, and I could not find a template that did what I wanted. I ended up rewriting the default template and all the CSS. It took some time, and I used a lot of my skills. I like WordPress because blogging is not the same as creating ordinary pages.There is no easy way to do this. If you want to do it yourself, and you want it to be right, you will have to spend time learning something.

Archived