GD php

birbal

i never used gd before. what is gd in php. as i read somewhere its do some image works. can anyone tell me. what is use of GD. i mean we can insert images using html tags in php. so why the GD? so there must be some diffrenet feature with this image handling (GD). what is that? what is siginficant of that?thank you.

You can use the GD library to edit actual image data. The library provides facilities, for example, to apply filters to images, combine them, add text, etc.

PHP is Turing complete, which means it can do, in theory, exactly what all other Turing-complete languages can do. In theory :).Also note that GD is related to PHP in the same way that, say, MySQL is - it's actually a standalone library (written in C) that has a "wrapper", a set of functions that interact with said library, implemented in PHP (although development is now headed by the same people that maintain PHP). http://www.libgd.org/Main_Page.

I didn't realize the huge potential for web programming languages until I saw this: Online Image Editor
i used many image editors but i did not see this kind of site. it is great aplication. i did not realize its a web aplication. it is same like pc installed image editors. 1)if i want to start learning it. can anyone suggest where to start? which functions i should look up? there are lot of functions...actually i dont know which functions are standard for basic start.2) is it comes with php core installation or i need extra installation?

What is the difference between reCAPTCHA and capctha? i heared about only captcha.
How did you hear about captcha?Have you tried googling for recaptcha, or is Google being stifle in India as it is in China?Roddy

How did you hear about captcha?Have you tried googling for recaptcha, or is Google being stifle in India as it is in China?Roddy
cant mention any. just came to know about capctha.no no..google is working fine in india. i just read it recapctha here and i asked..google did not came up in my mind ...my mistake i should google it first...
how's does it relate to the the GD library?
not sure its made with gd or not. fmpda provided that link. i guess its possible with GD also.

List of all GD functionsImage creation and loading is done with the imagecreate*() functions (do a CTRL+F on the list to see them).Image output and/or saving is done with the image[format]() functions (e.g. imagegif(), imagepng(), imagejpeg()).All other functions do certain modifications on the image, or gather metadata about it (e.g. getimagesize() will take the dimensions of an image).It's a very awkward API to work with, I grant you that. There are tons of libraries out there that make one or more aspects of it easier to work with.

thank you boen for pointing out the startup function. i will check it soon.It's a very awkward API to work with, I grant you that. There are tons of libraries out there that make one or more aspects of it easier to work with.so what will be the good for it? as i said i have no idea with image handling libaries. nver used that. i want to give a try one of those near future and dont want to switch it later. so i just want to start with which will be good for me over all.

It's always best to use the core, i.e. the list above... but it's not easy to understand it all. So, if you find a simple well documented class that seems to do what you need, do use it. Just keep in mind there's more to it than meets the eye, and that it is by definition incomplete... unless it's just a class that converts the function names to method names, similarly to how MySQLi works - its OOP style is actually procedure style minus the resource passing and "mysqli_" prefix.

how's does it relate to the the GD library?
I'm sorry if that threw you off. I was just commenting on the power of web programming languages. As Synook said, PHP, being Turing-complete, is in theory capable of doing what any other Turing-complete language can do. Since most programs are written in C++, another T-complete language, PHP should (theoretically) be able to do whatever C++ can do. If you do some research, you'll see that PHP's GD extension is capable of creating quite a lot: gradients, graphs, "art", image manipulation (color, sharpness, size, etc.), image creation, etc.The only downside to GD is that most of its functions require MANY parameters. This makes it harder to learn, but it pays off with it being very flexible and powerful.

Archived