Shared domain databases

Fmdpa

It depends on what host name does the MySQL server give to the web server.That may be different than your browser's host name (i.e. (sub)domain).The MySQL server itself does a reverse DNS query based on your web server's IP, and then verifies if THAT name is allowed to access the DB with that username.If you have a reversed DNS entry in your domain's DNSIf the DNS server that MySQL asks is one on which you can define a reversed DNS entry, you can just point the IP to the main domain, and use that for MySQL. MySQL will then work for all domains hosted on that IP.I... hope that made sence (it barely did to me when I fount it out the hard way). [edit]Well... guess I didn't cleared up enough for myself even... editions above.[/edit][edit]@nicheDNS is the protocol for turning names into IP adresses and vice-versa. When you type "w3schools.com", your computer doesn't know which computer to contact. It would know so if it had an IP address. DNS turns that name into an IP address which your computer can then connect to. See Wikipedia for details.[/edit]

If the DB and web server are on the same computer, it will work on any hosting provider, any (sub)domain.If the DB and web server are on different computers, then yeah, you should probably check with the host, just in case.

Archived