How to process a form on the same page

Greysoul

yeah i've completey forgotten everything i learned last year with php and have a simple question. i'm just making a very easy insert but i dont want when i hit the submit button for it to have to go to another page to process the insert. i just want when i hit the add button for it to insert it, and that be it. this is what i have so far but clearly i've forgotten something as its not working. any suggestions?

<?phpecho "<tr>";echo "<td>" . "<input type='text' size='10' name='billname' class='form' value=''>" . "</td>";echo "<td>" . "<input type='text' size='18' name='projectedamount' class='form' value=''>" . "</td>";echo "<td>" . "<input type='text' size='8' name='duedate' class='form' value=''>" . "</td>";echo "<td>" . "<input type='text' size='10' name='company' class='form' value=''>" . "</td>";echo "<td>" . "<input type='text' size='17' name='paymentmethod' class='form' value=''>" . "</td>";echo "</tr>";echo "<tr>";echo "<td colspan='5'>" . "<input class='form' type='Submit' value='Add' name='Add'>" . "</td>";echo "</tr>";echo "</table>";if($_POST['Add']){mysql_query("INSERT INTO bills (Name, ProjAmnt, DueDate, Company, PayMethod)VALUES('$_POST[billname]','$_POST[projectedamount]','$_POST[duedate]','$_POST[company]','$_POST[paymentmethod]'");}?>

think it may have something to do with the primary ID key field..i have it numbered. don't recall how to make it just automatically add the next number :3 could be wrong though..actually seems like the button isn't firing at all :) anyone out there?....didn't add my form tags..*walks away slowly* :)

your form is not complete..you have to write where the requests you want to send...it should be like..

if(isset($_POST['add'])){//process the form}else{//show up the formecho "<form action='yourpagelocation.php' method='post'><input type=text....................<input type=text....................<input type=text....................<input type=submit name='add'....</form>";}

you can put $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] instead of yourpagelocation.php

changed it up a little..and i'm getting error back "Duplicate entry '0' for key 1". i'm not sure how to resolve this..does it have to do with the ID field?

if($_POST['Add']){								  while (isset($_POST['billname'])) {$billname=$_POST['billname'];$projectedamount=$_POST['projectedamount'];$duedate=$_POST['duedate'];$company=$_POST['company'];$paymentmethod=$_POST['paymentmethod'];$query="INSERT INTO bills(Name, ProjAmnt, DueDate, Company, PayMethod)VALUES ('".$billname."','".$projectedamount."','".$duedate."','".$company."','".$paymentmethod."')";mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());}}

What is the first key defined on the table? If it's a primary key field, do you have that set to auto increment?
My ID field is my key, numbered 0,1,2,3,4,etc. When i try to set it to auto increment it won't let me. i get...SQL query: ALTER TABLE `bills` CHANGE `ID` `ID` INT( 20 ) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT MySQL said: #1062 - Duplicate entry '1' for key 1

Delete the field and then re-create it as a primary key int autonumber field. You can also create a new table with the correct structure and then import records like this (make sure to not import the old ID field):INSERT INTO new_table (Name, ProjAmnt, DueDate, Company, PayMethod) SELECT Name, ProjAmnt, DueDate, Company, PayMethod FROM old_tableOnce the records are imported you can delete the old one and rename the new one.

You're telling it to loop while this condition is true:while (isset($_POST['billname'])) {That's never going to be false unless you explicitly unset that array element. Maybe a loop isn't what you're looking for in that case.

Archived