HTML Doctype disorients CSS for my tables!

bdotma

Hi,This is my first post. I'm a self-taught beginner in HTML/CSS.I decided to declare a Doctype for my html page. But doing so disorients the table row heights & the CSS alignments that I declare for my tables in Internet Explorer. Without the Doctype, the table row heights & CSS alignments are fine. What are my solutions without having to remove a Doctype declaration? Thanks for reading!This is my code:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html><head><title> Daily Alerts</title><style type="text/css">div.center	{text-align:center;	padding-top:.125in;	}div.inbetween	{	padding-top:.25in;	padding-bottom:.25in;	}table	{	border: 1px solid black;	width:760px;	text-align:center;	padding-top:2in;	}table.inside	{	width:670px;	text-align:right;	}tr.height{	height:5px;	}td.top	{	width:670px;	background-color:green;	font-family:"Calibri";		}td.logo	{	width:335px;	background-color:orange;	font-family:"Calibri";	}td.date	{	width:335px;	background-color:orange;	font-family:"Calibri";	}td.bottom	{	width:670px;	background-color:red;	font-family:"Calibri";	text-align:center;	}td.quotes	{	padding-left:.25in;	text-align:left;	}p	{	color:purple;	font-family:"Calibri";	text-align:center;	}	p.top	{	color:purple;	font-family:"Calibri";	text-align:center;	}p.date	{	color:purple;	font-family:"Calibri";	text-align:left;	}p.quotes	{	color:purple;	font-family:"Calibri";	text-align:right;	}span.fontred	{	color:red;	}</style></head>	<body><div class="center"><table ><tr><td><div class="inbetween"><table class="inside"><tr class="height"><td class="top"	colspan="2"> <p class="top">Top Box</p></td></tr><tr><td class="logo" ><p >Logo</p></td><td class="date"><p class ="date">Date</p></td></tr><tr class="height"><td class="bottom" colspan="2"><p>Bottom Box</p></td></tr><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td class="quotes"><p class="quotes">What's here?</p><p class="quotes">Quote1</p><p class="quotes">Quote2 <span class="fontred">Quote2</span> Quote2</p><p class="quotes">Quote3</p></td></tr></table></div></td></tr></table></div></body></html>

2 html opening tags <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> and <html>no opening or closing body tag <body></body>closing of table at end wrong</td></tr></td></tr></table></table>should be</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>div tags are allowed in td cells, or outside of table only, and no where else within tablethese are the main reasons, your layout is going a bit awry.if you validate your html using http://validator.w3.org/ it should point out these errors

Thanks for looking, I cleaned up the novice mistakes =). Still having issues though.bad.jpgGood: The left image is what shows in IE7+ without Doctype. I need this structure and style.Bad: The right image is what shows in IE7+ with Doctype. Notice the big gap above the green bar; that the green, orange, and red bar heights are much "taller" than the text; and that the tables are not center-aligned =(.Thanks for reading.

The problem maybe due to the fact that you are using a inch as a unit, it looks as though IE7 and below ignore this unit completely, whereas IE8+ and other browsers apply this unit. So the left is incorrect, whereas the right is exactly how it will look using a inch unit. I also think, depending on what your OS has set for DPI will affect the size of the elements padding/margin when using this unit. I would suggest using, either px (relative to screen resolution pixels), em (relative to font size used) or % (relative to screen size).To centre the table i would use margin: 0 auto; (for will block elements with fixed width only), instead of text-align; as text-align should be used for text (obviously), and inline elements (img, label, input etc) WITHIN a block element (table, div).

Problem solved! Here's the fixed HTML. Thanks for your assistance.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html><head><title> Daily Alerts</title><style type="text/css">body	{	text-align:center;	padding-top:30px;	}table.outside	{	margin: 0 auto;	width:760px;	padding-top:30px;	padding-bottom:30px;	border: 1px solid black;	}table.inside	{	width:670px;	text-align:center;	margin: 0 auto;	border: 1px solid black;	padding-top:30px;	padding-bottom:30px	}tr.height{	height:10px;	}td.top	{	width:670px;	background-color:green;	font-family:"Calibri";	height:10px;		}td.logo	{	width:335px;	background-color:orange;	font-family:"Calibri";	}td.date	{	width:335px;	background-color:orange;	font-family:"Calibri";	}td.bottom	{	width:670px;	background-color:red;	font-family:"Calibri";	text-align:center;	}td.quotes	{	padding-left:.25in;	text-align:left;	}p	{	margin:0in;		margin-bottom:.0001pt;	color:purple;	font-family:"Calibri";	text-align:center;	}	p.top	{	color:purple;	font-family:"Calibri";	text-align:center;	}p.date	{	color:purple;	font-family:"Calibri";	text-align:left;	}p.quotes	{	color:purple;	font-family:"Calibri";	text-align:right;	}span.fontred	{	color:red;	}</style></head>	<body><table class="outside"><tr><td><table class="inside"><tr class="height"><td class="top"	colspan="2"> <p class="top">Top Box</p></td></tr><tr><td class="logo" ><p >Logo</p></td><td class="date"><p class ="date">Date</p></td></tr><tr class="height"><td class="bottom" colspan="2"><p>Bottom Box</p></td></tr><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td class="quotes"><p class="quotes">What's here?</p><p class="quotes">Quote1</p><p class="quotes">Quote2 <span class="fontred">Quote2</span> Quote2</p><p class="quotes">Quote3</p></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></body></html>

The huge bars were fixed with margin properties in CSS. Hope this will help others who have the same problem.

p	{	margin:0in;	margin-bottom:.0001pt;	color:purple;	font-family:"Calibri";	text-align:center;	}

FWIW, you have a lot of duplicated CSS. Take the following example:td.logo { width:335px; background-color:orange; font-family:"Calibri"; }td.date { width:335px; background-color:orange; font-family:"Calibri"; }Those two selectors apply the exact same rules. They can be combined into one, like so:td.logo, td.date { width:335px; background-color:orange; font-family:"Calibri"; }

FWIW, you have a lot of duplicated CSS. Take the following example:td.logo { width:335px; background-color:orange; font-family:"Calibri"; }td.date { width:335px; background-color:orange; font-family:"Calibri"; }Those two selectors apply the exact same rules. They can be combined into one, like so:td.logo, td.date { width:335px; background-color:orange; font-family:"Calibri"; }
Later on, I will be changing many of the properties of td.date and td.logo. Thanks for reading.

Archived