Liquid Layout with Images

bmroyer

I have a 3 column liquid layout which looks perfect in FireFox, IE, and Chrome. I was interested in added images to it to spice it up a bit. Now if I replaced the "header" background color with an image with text in it for like a banner, wouldn't it look all bunched up and pixelated if it was in a liquid layout, if it stretched too much? I guess on other things like the footer, blocks, and the navigation I can just use a small image with no pictures or text and it should stretch and shrink fine. The banner part would be a problem on most layouts though, and if I ever added images or pictures as part of the webpage layout.

... Now if I replaced the "header" background color with an image with text in it for like a banner, wouldn't it look all bunched up and pixelated if it was in a liquid layout, if it stretched too much?
not necessarily. It depends how you attach the background...see discussion on this siteI have a background image on a liquid layout positioned roughly center. As the browser becomes smaller than the image, the edges get chopped off but the image does not scale down. If your image is INFORMATIONAL rather than DECORATION, put the important part near the centre (if positioned centre) then losing edges is not a big problem.In the event the browser is larger than the image, you need to have it degrade nicely into a suitable background colour . . .OR . . . make your image very large with a gradient or dimming effect on the edges - again where the middle contains the important stuff.Guy

Archived