MySQL: Problem Inserting Checkbox State

OtagoHarbour

I create a table in a database thus. $result = mysql_query("CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS Subscribers ( personID int NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, PRIMARY KEY(personID), FirstName varchar(25), LastName varchar(25), UserName varchar(25), EmailAddress varchar(25), PassWord varchar(25), Gender varchar(16), MailingList char(1) )");I then set up a form with html thus.<form action="insert.php" method="post">First name: <input type="text" name="firstname" />Last name: <input type="text" name="lastname" />User name: <input type="text" name="username" />E-mail Address: <input type="text" name="EmailAddress" />Password: <input type="password" name="pwd" /><br /><input type="radio" name="MaleFemale" value="male" /> Male<br /><input type="radio" name="MaleFemale" value="female" /> Female<br /><input type="radio" name="MaleFemale" value="DeclineGender" /> Decline to give gender<br /><input type="checkbox" name="mailinglist" value="MailingList" /> Subscribe to mailing list.<br /><input type="submit" value="Submit" /><br /></form>insert.php include the following code to insert the record.$sql="INSERT INTO SubScribers (FirstName, LastName, UserName, EmailAddress, PassWord, Gender, MailingList)VALUES('$_POST[firstname]','$_POST[lastname]','$_POST[username]','$_POST[EmailAddress]', '$_POST[pwd]','$_POST[MaleFemale]', '$_POST[mailinglist]')";This works if the checkbox is checked. However, if the checkbox is unchecked, the following message ensues.Notice: Undefined index: mailinglistHow should I fix this problem?Thanks,Peter.

you can use isset() to set a variable($_POST['mailinglist']) which does not exist

you can use isset() to set a variable($_POST['mailinglist']) which does not exist
I had been playing around with isset() but no luck so far. I suspect my syntax is wrong but I cannot figure out what it should be. I tried $WantMailingList=0; if (isset('$_POST[mailinglist]')) $WantMailingList=1;and got the following error message.Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRINGThanks,Peter.

1 possible solution to the issue is that if user select checkbox then the vale will be 1 otherwise value will be 0 ( as default )
Would you know the right syntax for that? It's essentially what I've been trying to do with isset() but keep getting syntax errors.Thanks,Peter.

Archived