CSS: centre a button with margin = 0 auto?

tinfanide

<style>.wrapper {	position:relative;	background-color:green;	margin: 0 auto;	width:1000px;	height:800px;	}.left-nav {		background-color:blue;	float:left;}.right-nav {		background-color:red;	float:right;	transform: rotate(30deg);	-ms-transform:rotate(30deg);	-moz-transform:rotate(30deg);}p {	color:white;	text-align:center;	font-size:36px;}.button {	margin: 0 auto;			}</style><div class="wrapper"><p>wrapper</p><div class="left-nav"><p>left-nav</p></div><div class="right-nav"><p>right-nav</p></div><input class="button" type="button" value = "Click to rotate!" /></div>

I wonder why the button still cannot be centred in css even I set margin = 0 auto but it does the job for the div wrapper.Thanks for any reply!

margin:0 auto; only works for block element with fixed width, the input is a inline element, and has no fixed width so won't work with margin: 0 auto;fixes: 1)place input button within block element div, and give div text-align:center;2)turn input button into block element with display:block; ,set to fixed width: 100px foe example, then use margin: 0 auto; to centre;

if you don't set the width, it won't work in all browsers, i think chrome is one.
Without width, it works fine in IE and Firefox.I have not tested it in other browsers. Yet, some articles online seemed to talk like width is important (well, I should say essential) to css centering.CSS - a hurdle as high as that of JS to me... complicated rules in its handbook...

just tested without width and it failed in chrome, and IE8? but was ok in FF, Opera, and would you believe it IE6/7 crazy huh
Yes, my IE is IE8, my firefox is firefox 4.0.1. It is fine in IE8. Don't know how it works in IE7.I never use IE6 in my life; too many css things not compatible... yeah... it's crazy browser

Are you sure its IE8?I just tested in IEtester under IE6 to IE9, and IE6, 7 and 9 where fine but IE8 Failed totally, I am using with doctype specified.
Yes, you're right, thanks to your seriousness. I mistook dreamweaver previewer as my IE8. In DW, it showed exactly as FF4.0.1 did.Unless I set the width, IE8 does not centre the button even with display:block.

Archived