how to write an if condition based on element's property?

newrehmi

hello all!let say, i want to make a script:"if the body background is white, the change it to blue", so is my code is correct?if (document.body.style.background = white) {document.body.style.background = "blue"}sorry for the noob question, I tried to make a function based on this concept, but seems like it's not working.Thank you so very much. I need your help please. Thanks.

The property value is a string. And for comparing you have to use a double equals ==

if(document.body.style.backgroundColor == "white")

The property value is a string. And for comparing you have to use a double equals ==
if(document.body.style.backgroundColor == "white")

thanks for answering. and no, it's not working too... here is my code:
if(document.body.style.backgroundColor == "white") {document.body.style.backgroundColor = "red";}

the body color is still not changing... please help me.. tell me what is wrong...I got a second question:how to declare some html element as a variable?let say the element/object is: document.body()so, in my script:

<script>var the_body = document.body()the_body.style.background = "green"</script>

but, look like my code is wrong! =_+ and this variable thingy is so confused than what i learned in php... i am trying to grasp the basic. So, anyone please help me... thanks.. soo much.!

1. document.body is not a function, so calling document.body() throws an error.2. be aware that the style property of an element is NOT set from values in a CSS style sheet. It has values only if they are set in JavaScript or embedded in an element tag, like <body style="backgroundColor: #afa;"> . If you have NOT set a style in one of these ways, a test like if(document.body.style.backgroundColor == "white") will fail.

1. document.body is not a function, so calling document.body() throws an error.2. be aware that the style property of an element is NOT set from values in a CSS style sheet. It has values only if they are set in JavaScript or embedded in an element tag, like <body style="backgroundColor: #afa;"> . If you have NOT set a style in one of these ways, a test like if(document.body.style.backgroundColor == "white") will fail.
wow thank you! it clear me alot now! =) thanks! but i still not understand about the variable thingy. If there's any detailed tutorial about javascript variable, it should be good I think!.. but, now i am happy! later I will ask more if you dont mind =D!!Thanks!

the following line should work with you, don't forget browser issues,, something not working with IE, may works on firefox and vise versa.this code working with firefox and chrome fine

<html><head></head><body id="justsomeguy"><script type="text/javascript">//here we change the bgcolor onloaddocument.body.bgColor="lavender";</script><script type="text/javascript">//here we get the bgcolorvar color=document.getElementById("justsomeguy").bgColor;if(color=="lavender"){document.body.bgColor="pink";}</script><p>Hello World</p></body></html>

bgColor is a deprecated attribute / property.If you want to set the style on the body element, give it a style attribute:

<body style="background-color: white;">

If you want to actually get the value given from a CSS stylesheet you're going to need to mess with browser inconsistencies. There's getComputedStyle() and currentStyle but I prefer not to mess with those unless I really need to.

My goodness, please do not recommend the use of old-fashioned attributes like bgcolor. CSS has limitations, but they can be worked around without taking a time machine back to 1996.EDIT: boy, I'm just typing too quickly today. :)

The more typical way to test style initial values is to check for a negative. For example:

if (element.style.backgroundColor != "red") {   element.style.backgroundColor = "red";}

It takes a bit of thought to work through the logic of such a situation, and to set up the initial conditions, but thinking is what programmers do. It could be some (slightly) more sophisticated logic is required:

if (element.style.backgroundColor == "" || element.style.backgroundColor == "white") {   element.style.backgroundColor = "red";}

EDIT: stupid paste error corrected

FWIW, a much more detailed discussion of style values can be found here. There are also useful functions that can just be copy/pasted without you really having to understand them. Note that the tutorial provides links to related functions as well.Be aware that the tutorials solve what is actually a set of very complicated problems that can usually be avoided by clever programming choices.

woww thank you so much, i learned alot i think, thanks Deirdre's Dad and thanks all too!... =D Thanks for the typical method of testing style value! I will try to grasp bit by bit!If there's any more magic method of understanding, i believe it would help alott!! COOL!

FWIW, a much more detailed discussion of style values can be found here. There are also useful functions that can just be copy/pasted with you really having to understand them. Note that the tutorial provides links to related functions as well.Be aware that the tutorials solve what is actually a set of very complicated problems that can usually be avoided by clever programming choices.
Thanks!!!

Archived