Guest Page

mikem74

im new to html, and make my site on publisher. i was hopeing someone could give me some direction in makeing a html based text field in order to make a guest book for my page. all i want is 2 fields. is there any way to set it up so the inputed info aoutmaticly uplaods into the guestbook, and if not can it be routed to my email. - thanks -mike

If you want it inserted into your guestbook automatically you'll need to know a server-side scripting language (asp, php, coldfusion...) and a database that contains your guestbook. To email the content of the form to yourself, insert your email in the action attribute of your form.

<form name="form1" method="post" action="myemailisfreakinglongbutilikeit@here.com

actually, if you want to understand the Email, do this:

<form action="myemailisfreakinglongbutilikeit@here.com" method="post" enctype="text/plain">(your textareas here)<input type="submit" value="send"/></form>

make sure you name your textareas or they won't get sent.LG

The action must also have mailto:<form action="mailto:me@me.co.uk" method="post" enctype="text/plain">Someone should probably point out though that sending the form this way is very unstable and it only has a chance of working if you have an email progam on you pc eg outlook.sending email via the server is a better option...

actually outlook will screw it up.The user will fill out he form and then hit submit and outlook will open a Compose Mail window (blank).This method is very unreliable. Server Side code is the way to go.

To avoid outlook to open blank with just mail id in it,mailto:itsme@yahoo.com?subject=hi&body=byeas the name values in the URL explains clearly, value of "subject" goes into the subjectline and value of "body" as the body of the message.i guess this URL can be done with Javascript, by getting the text from the textbox and add it in the URL.

If  you want it inserted into your guestbook automatically you'll need to know a server-side scripting language (asp, php, coldfusion...) and a database that contains your guestbook.
i'm wondering how the code looks like and how it works :) Can Anybody tell me?i'd prefer use php. Thxs :)