Opera and JS support

Fmdpa

Those of you who have extensively used Opera have probably noticed that it doesn't cooperate with some heavily javascript driven websites. It's rare that it occurs, but it is often enough that it puzzles me. In coding my website from scratch, I do not remember encountering one instance where Opera was not compatible with the JS code I wrote. Are these incompatible website a result of non-standards-compliant code or is Opera actually incompatible with certain JS features or maybe browser "discrimination"?

Occasionally it is quirky with Twitter (not often) it doesn't work with the Amazon MP3 store (user control panel). I can't think of any good examples now, but I know I've encountered them in the past. I'll try to remember some better examples...

The problems i have had with Opera is that when you try to retrieve the height or width of a element using jquery, it shows it without unit, whereas other browsers display the value and unit. It also if i remember rightly, in some circumstances, compared to other browsers, returns the wrong height when using .height(), unless you use .innerHeight() instead.So i usually end up using parseInt() to get numerical value only, then add +"px" at end, and because innerHeight() returned the same value as .height() as required, i use that for all browsers.

Archived