Smooth Scrolling

chasethemetal

Hey all!So I'm currently developing a website that doesn't have that much content on it. We are talking like 4 or 5 <div>'s with stuff like the vimeo player embedded in them. Now I've noticed that when I scroll the window down it's kind of jumpy... My theory is that the <div>'s aren't tracking as smoothly as they could be when the user scrolls down the page.Are there any scripts that can make my page scroll very smoothly when the user scrolls down the page??? Thanks so much.

Adding code isn't going to make anything smoother. It's jumpy because the browser is having problems rendering the Flash movies and things quickly enough when you scroll. It's just a side effect of content-heavy pages.

Yes I figured as much. I thought there might be a script that could change the scroll scale and speed... Like change the size of the smallest scroll and change the speed in which the browser cycles down.So in theory make the steps smaller, then increase the speed of the scroll, which would render the illusion of smoother scrolling, no? Does this exist?

Interfacing with that kind of stuff is extremely limited. Even if you could do anything, interrupting the normal execution could only mess things up more. The browser executes VERY fast compared to the scripting environment it contains.Some things as a designer you just have to let go. We're all control freaks, so the desire is to control everything. Eventually you realize that the environment puts limitations on you, and there's nothing you can do. In other ways, you realize that even if you can control something, it's better to let the user keep the choice. (That one's not the issue; I'm just saying.)

Adding code isn't going to make anything smoother. It's jumpy because the browser is having problems rendering the Flash movies and things quickly enough when you scroll. It's just a side effect of content-heavy pages.
would it be any faster with "HTML4" ?

I think you mean the HTML 5 video element, and the answer is ... maybe, depending on the browser. Anyway, however, Vimeo doesn't support the embedding of their HTML 5 player yet.

I think you mean the HTML 5 video element, and the answer is ... maybe, depending on the browser. Anyway, however, Vimeo doesn't support the embedding of their HTML 5 player yet.
oh, although i think i did mean HTML4 with regard to Flash Objects in general. (swf?)am i correct to say that Adobe Flash is just a closed-source version of "HTML4" ?

No, Flash is an entire environment of its own. It's not related to HTML in any way.
what i meant was it's similar in structure(?), with elements and action scripts, the difference being the code is compiled and hence "closed-source" or, not open source.

Well, it has a hierarchy of containers, but that's about all it has in common with HTML. Flash has its own environment and a real programming language. Flash is more related to Java than to HTML. And I'm not talking about Javascript, I'm talking about Java.

Well, it has a hierarchy of containers, but that's about all it has in common with HTML. Flash has its own environment and a real programming language. Flash is more related to Java than to HTML. And I'm not talking about Javascript, I'm talking about Java.
i see, so it's more of a "sibling" to Javascript then ?am just trying to place Flash & "HTML4"(?) in terms of providing content with regards to the "anti-Adobe movement" like iPhads :) and such.

HTML is a markup language, <body>, <p> and the rest. It describes what content is on a page. HTML version 4 is the latest standardised major version of the HTML markup language (HTML 4.01 is the latest standardised minor version). JavaScript is a client-side scripting language. It allows for the dynamic manipulation of a web page after it has loaded, for example through the addition of new elements, the changing of styles, or in response to user input.Adobe Flash is an integrated development environment that allows the creation of Flash movies - interactive standalone programs that can run within a browser environment, but also directly as "desktop" applications (for example, through Adobe Air). The Flash development environment enables scripting of Flash movies through the use of ActionScript, which is based on the same ECMAscript specification as JavaScript. However, the things they script - web pages v Flash movies - are very different.HTML 5 is the next version of HTML, yet to be finalised, and is the focus of the "anti-Flash" movement, as you put it. While previous versions of HTML, including HTML 4, mainly focused on static content, such as text and images, HTML 5 includes the ability, among other things, to mark up videos, audio files, canvasses, and other dynamic content within web pages - things that previously had to be done by embedding a Flash movie.Using HTML 5 instead of Flash conveys several advantages, such as the removal of the need for Flash, which as we have witnessed can be slow and power-consuming. Since HTML 5 documents are marked up in ASCII, while Flash movies are compiled binaries, an interactive HTML 5 movie, for example, can be adapted much better for the needs of whatever device is displaying it, than an unmodifiable Flash movie. This is one main reason why developers of low-power devices such as the iPad have been reluctant to include Flash support on their devices, instead opting to implement advanced HTML 5 features.

ahh, i see - very nicely put - thanks Synook !!so, yes, ECMAscript "siblings" :) (okay... only the ActionScript parts)i guess that's why Adobe doesn't bother to revamp their architecture(?) for better efficiency because it's going to be redundant eventually ?(unless programmers still want to have the protection of non open-source)

Well, I'm sure Adobe try to make their Flash Player as efficient as possible, but due to its complexity it'll probably never be as efficient as running something described in HTML 5 natively.

Archived