What do you think of string funcs I made for php

rain13

I was unable to find some funcs so I decided to write those myself. just wanted to know what do you think of these. Do you think they're useful?StringLeft - Returns a number of characters from the left-hand side of a string.StringRight - Returns a number of characters from the right-hand side of a string.StringTrimLeft - Trims a number of characters from the left hand side of a string.StringTrimRight - Trims a number of characters from the right hand side of a string.

function StringLeft($sString,$iCount){	return substr ( $sString ,0, $iCount );}function StringRight($sString,$iCount){	return substr ( $sString , strlen($sString) - $iCount, strlen($sString));}function StringTrimLeft($sString,$iCount){	return substr ( $sString ,$iCount, strlen($sString) );}function StringTrimRight($sString,$iCount){	return substr ( $sString ,0 , strlen($sString) - $iCount);}

example:

$str =  "Hello World";echo StringLeft($str,1)."<br>";echo StringRight($str,1)."<br>";echo StringTrimLeft($str,1)."<br>";echo StringTrimRight($str,1)."<br>";

output of example:

Hdello WorldHello Worl
Edit: some of these are at http://php.net/manual/en/function.substr.php but hey are like 10 lines long and look terrible, my funcs are all single line.

It is common to create very short functions that explicitly name what they do. It saves you or other developers the trouble of figuring out what a particular call to something like substr is trying to accomplish.It might be worth your time to play around with negative values for the length or index arguments when you're messing around with the right side of a string.Also note situations where it is not necessary to pass a length to substr.

If length is omitted, the substring starting from start until the end of the string will be returned.

Why don't you add them to the string object instead of random functions?String.prototype.methodName = function(){....}
wrong language...

@SoItBeginsDefinitely not. Not only is the syntax wrong (you'd use the -> operator, not the dot) but PHP doesn't let you create/tweak objects on the fly like that. You'd need to write a class, then create an instance of the class.And it would never work the way a built-in JavaScript object works. Strings and array in PHP are primitive data types, not objects in their own right. There is no circumstance in which you can add properties or methods to a PHP string or array. The best you can do is create an object that has a string or array as a property. Eventually, that would let do things like this:$instance = new MyObject ();$instance->data = "abc";$instance->doSomething();(And remember, I can only do that if the script also contains a definition for the MyObject class.)

and of course if those properties aren't private. It was clear the most saddening part of my PHP learning was that I couldn't create array/object literals on the fly. Oh, it nearly drove me to tears! :)But now I embrace it, because in a sense the strictness of it enforces a good formality with common and more widely used classical coding conventions. Although I still do love JS syntax and language constructs a whole lot more, I've used it to try and add more structure to my javascripts.

and of course if those properties aren't private. It was clear the most saddening part of my PHP learning was that I couldn't create array/object literals on the fly. Oh, it nearly drove me to tears! :)But now I embrace it, because in a sense the strictness of it enforces a good formality with common and more widely used classical coding conventions. Although I still do love JS syntax and language constructs a whole lot more, I've used it to try and add more structure to my javascripts.
Javascript really is fun to use with all that Object construction and weak typing etc, but for someone first stepping into the programming realm it can give you some seriously bad habits, like assuming Strings are objects. By trying out different languages you get to see how languages are organized differently and I have a greater appreciation for all I come across even Pascal.

Archived